Decanting hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CWK

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I'm looking to purchase a decanting hose for use in filling my pony. Simple question. Should I get one with or without a gauge?

Thanks

I'm looking to purchase a decanting hose for use in filling my pony. Simple question. Should I get one with or without a gauge?
It depends. Do you have other means of determining pressure in your pony after the trans-fill?

I don't have gauges on my trans-fill whips / decanting hoses. But, I have a stand-alone pressure gauge so I can quickly check the pressure in the cylinder after filling. Adding an inline gauge to the whip makes make it a bit harder to coil and store. I find it easier to have a separate gauge.

You'll have an SPG on the regulator, so one on the transfill hose would be handy, but not necessary, and would make it bulkier for travel.

It depends. Do you have other means of determining pressure in your pony after the trans-fill?

I don't have gauges on my trans-fill whips / decanting hoses. But, I have a stand-alone pressure gauge so I can quickly check the pressure in the cylinder after filling. Adding an inline gauge to the whip makes make it a bit harder to coil and store. I find it easier to have a separate gauge.

I will know the rough equilibrium pressure after the transfill as long as I know approximate pressure in the S80 at the start of the fill. For a 3L pony, I will need to transfill from 2 full S80s to get the pony near 200 bar.

I can always check pressure with my regulator. Was wondering which way you guys were leaning towards.

Sure is handy. I wouldn't want to be without mine. I've done it. Guess and check when done to see if you get the results you are looking for. If you are ever going to try any blending you really need the gauge.

Reactions: CWK
I would just carry the 80....

Handy but not necessary as others have pointed out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom