REVIEW OF BLUE ANGEL RESORT - COZUMEL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Adam K

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
my wife and i stayed here for 4 nights for a long weekend scuba getaway in mid-January. we stayed in room 306 which had a view of the ocean, though it was partially obstructed by a tree (no big deal - we didn't stay in the room much).

we did a quick check dive shortly after check-in from the resort shore. it is a little rocky and has urchins so soft boots/socks are not recommended. we were pleasantly surprised what we saw just from short - spotted moray, stingray, fireworms, arrow crabs, flounder, and porcupine fish to mention a few. there is a stingray/nurse shark place next to the resort where you can also see the animals through the fence. even through the fence, they were neat to see & very large. the only thing you have to worry about is the current in the area. we didn't dive much deeper than 25 feet for this dive.

we did 8 guided dives through the resort - 2 days of 2 tank diving in the morning and 2 tank diving in the afternoon. the morning boat left a little after 8a and returned between 12p-1230p. the afternoon boat left a little bit after 1p and returned between 5p-530p. we were very happy with the boat captain and the DM's. The DM's always asked what we wanted to see/dive locations we wanted to go to ahead of time and made adjustments at the request of the divers. our last day of diving did get cancelled due to high winds.

this was our first time diving in Cozumel and we were pleasantly surprised. we saw all the usual Caribbean wildlife - nurse sharks, turtles, sting rays, eagle rays, toadfish, crabs, lobsters, spotted moray, green moray, scorpion fish, lion fish, and an excellent octopus encounter.

the desk staff here were very friendly and always happy to help. very laid back place

the restaurant was awesome! the food was very good! Sylvester was a very good waiter! for 2 days we were strapped for time between the morning and afternoon dive trips - the restaurant let us stop by and order lunch while we prepped for the afternoon dive and then come back about 15 minutes later. the food was ready and waiting for us. the food and drinks were pretty well priced IMO. we ate most of our meals here - only venturing off for 1 lunch and 1 dinner. there was nightly music entertainment all 4 nights we were there from 8p-10p. if you get to the restaurant early enough, you can score a seat along the railing and catch a beautiful sunset.

the room was nothing special but plenty good enough for us. it was clean & had a decent view. yes, the noise from the road is there, but it really didn't bother me much. never had a problem with lack of hot water. there was a fridge in the room with water/pop to purchase. there was a 5 gallon water dispenser outside of our room for quick water bottle refills.

the resort is about 30 minutes walk south of town and about 15-20 minutes north of the area where the cruise ships come in. very easy to flag down a cab if needed. in never felt unsafe anywhere we walked to.

all in all, if you are looking for a place that does not conform to the the big all inclusive resorts that serve the masses, this is a great place to go.

My wife and I walked down and had lunch there several years ago and it was simply horrid.

My adult daughter and I stayed there for a week last year and had a great experience. I guess the prior visit was just a bad day for them. I would stay there again.

On my Turks & Caicos Aggressor 2 live-aboard trip last year, at least 3 people praised the shore dive at Blue Angel Resort. One indicated it wasn't much reef but had a lot of 'critters.'

Roughly how long did your dive run?

One dive op. differentiator in Cozumel is the op.s attitude about when happens when a dive runs low on air/nitrox; do they send up the individual (or maybe buddy pair?), or does the whole group have to go up early because one diver is low on air? Without rehashing the debate on the pro.s & con.s of each position, please tell us how Blue Angel handled this.

Nice review, thanks for posting!

Richard.

drrich2, you make a point that I haven't seen addressed previously. I'll be visiting Cozumel in May with my three children and my youngest son's best friend. They were all certified this time last year and have about 25 dives each with the exception of the eldest whose been diving with me for a number of years now. The friend sometimes has trouble relaxing and uses his air much faster than the rest of us and I'm wondering what will happen in Coz? We'll be diving with Tres Pelicanos and I know you have experience with them.
PS, I hope I haven't derailed the OP's thread, Andrew.

ne dive op. differentiator in Cozumel is the op.s attitude about when happens when a dive runs low on air/nitrox; do they send up the individual (or maybe buddy pair?), or does the whole group have to go up early because one diver is low on air? Without rehashing the debate on the pro.s & con.s of each position, please tell us how Blue Angel handled this.
I have been diving with Blue Angel ever since they have been at that location. Their policy is to send divers up in pairs when they run low on air before the rest of the group.

We'll be diving with Tres Pelicanos and I know you have experience with them.

Tres Pelicanos had no problem with me going up alone. The divers on most of my boat trips with them were fairly seasoned; the day we had a relative 'newbie' our guide Edger kept closer to, and a close eye on, her. If your son's friend is a minor, or seen as very new, I don't know what their view will be, so explain the situation specifics and ask them.

Richard.

our check dive on the shore was only about 45 minutes. the dive shop closes around 5p and we didn't want to keep them waiting for us to get our gear put away. we probably could have spent more time looking around but not being familiar with the area, being on our own, and some current, we thought we'd just play it safe

for the dive boats, the dives typically went 50-60 minutes depending on how deep we went, but most dives averaged 55-60 minutes. our groups were small (no more than 4 + DM), and only on 1 occasion did a diver use a lot of air quickly - at about the 40 minute point in the dive. in that case, she was sent up to the surface after the safety stop with the DM monitoring her position about mid-depth. the DM did send up the SMB with the diver so the rest of us had a reference on where to go to at the end of the dive. we were already towards the top of the reef (probably 40-45 feet or so) and the diver with low air was always easily within sight

Thanks guys, I suppose I'm compelled to refer to my children as adults now, hmm, doesn't really work for me but I'll try:). They're new divers but with some experience, we spent a week in Bonaire last spring and dive locally about once a month so I don't anticipate any problems but one never does. I'm pumped about my return to Cozumel. My last dedicated dive trip there was almost 30 years ago. Now if we could just get through this unseasonally cold weather on the west coast.

The friend sometimes has trouble relaxing and uses his air much faster than the rest of us and I'm wondering what will happen in Coz? We'll be diving with Tres Pelicanos and I know you have experience with them.
PS, I hope I haven't derailed the OP's thread, Andrew.
I would suggest sending Jeanie at 3Ps an email asking for a couple of 100cf tanks for the first day of diving for the friend who is using a lot of gas. See if that balances him out with the rest of your group. If it works, keep him on the larger tanks until he relaxes and lowers his burn rate and can dive with the rest of you on 80cf.

My wife and I stayed at Blue Angel June last year and dived with Blue XT Sea. Enjoyed both a lot. Hotel is small, diver friendly and the restaurant was great. Blue XT Sea picked us up at the dock every morning and were really flexible and amiable with the divers. Maybe we got lucky but we had really experienced divers on the boat every day so we were able to dive Punta Sur which is always a treat. They let divers surface in buddy pairs so bottom time was really generous.
The shore dive at Blue Angel truly is a treasure chest of critters, great night dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom