Airfare July 4 Week

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ljwillia

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi Everyone-

We typically go to Coz in October. Airfare has ranged from $500 - $600 from Richmond, Va. This year our only window is over the week of July 4. Airfare is outrageous. The cheapest I've found is almost $1K. Our usual Delta flight is $1.7! Is this typical for this time of year or can I expect to see a price reduction as we get closer?

Thanks for your input!

Fly into CUN and do da bag drag!

$614 out of NYC, so yea, it’s a bit high....June 29-July 6 dates.....save $303 flying into CUN though. $1300.00 on Delta, yikes!

Fly into CUN and do da bag drag!

$614 out of NYC, so yea, it’s a bit high....June 29-July 6 dates.....save $303 flying into CUN though. $1300.00 on Delta, yikes!

This may be the first year we try the bag drag. I've resisted. It seems like such a hassle. I can deal with a hassle for that kind of savings.

It's not that bad. I actually kind of enjoy it, when I can get the times worked out. It's a little intimidating the first time you do it, but after that, it's a breeze.

Hi Everyone-

We typically go to Coz in October. Airfare has ranged from $500 - $600 from Richmond, Va. This year our only window is over the week of July 4. Airfare is outrageous. The cheapest I've found is almost $1K. Our usual Delta flight is $1.7! Is this typical for this time of year or can I expect to see a price reduction as we get closer?

Thanks for your input!

You are in that most expensive window of time. 5-6 months out is the worst time to buy airfare in my experience. I either purchase really early (like a year) or within 6 weeks. Put a fare watcher on it - don't know if Kayak still does this, but they used to have a probability rating on fares as to how likely they were to increase or decrease in the upcoming week(s)

Good luck!

You are in that most expensive window of time. 5-6 months out is the worst time to buy airfare in my experience. I either purchase really early (like a year) or within 6 weeks. Put a fare watcher on it - don't know if Kayak still does this, but they used to have a probability rating on fares as to how likely they were to increase or decrease in the upcoming week(s)

Good luck!
Thanks, Christi - I've got a fare watch on Hopper. Fingers crossed.

The bag drag isn't bad. I like it because there are way more flight options into Cancun. JetBlue, Southwest etc and I can generally fly out after work and make it to Cozumel by 8 or 9pm and get an extra day of diving in on Saturday vs it being a travel day. You can also stay in Playa on both legs if you want and that can be enjoyable for a night.

Oops. I am in Cozumel now, arguing with internet problems. See next post.

This year our only window is over the week of July 4.
People who post threads such as these usually have more specifications. Like, what days,, what times, etc. are important to you?

Every flight I looked at on matrix.ita.com was about $526
Well, that's true if you're not picky, as from Richmon VA to Cozumel starts in the $526-530 range, $650 leaving on Saturday June 29, but if you uncheck overnight itineraries, the possibilities go up. But there is more to the mystery, not knowing when she really wants to go.

Our usual Delta flight is $1.7!
It seems to be a Delta problem, and she wants to fly Delta that week. When you select Delta only, that week goes to hell. On matrix, it shows flights only on Saturdays and for $1,713 - outrageous, but there is worse.

On Delta, it's shows mostly Nope, nope, nope with some possibilities in the $1712-1716 range, one at $3,198, but mostly Nope. Many more possibilities seem to exist flying Delta to Cancun, any day from June 23 to any day in July, round-trip after 6-8 for $462 most days without overnight connections. I did not check times since you did not furnish actual preferences, but it looks much better. Delta just does not want to fly to Cozumel that week very much.

Capture.JPG

Back
Top Bottom