Proper Weight Check Procedure in OW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dave22387

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I have dove the same way for decades. Being in South Florida I pretty much put away the old drysuit and haven't touched it in years. After many colorful arguments with some of the DIR guys on here, and getting older and not liking the cold, I have decided to break out the old CF200 when diving from now on. I have dialed in my rig for decades and know my weighting perfectly for my current configuration using double 80's (which I despise) or single steels. I am neutral with an empty wing and tank(s) at my last stop. My question in this:

Obviously, once I put on the drysuit I will need to add a little weight (especially if diving a single tank). still trying to guess how much, guessing 8 pounds with light light thermals) I do not really have access to controlled water and will have to figure out my weighting on the fly on real dives off of a boat. Is there some way to play with weight during the 15 foot stop while holding the stop in the open ocean? I will be on a down line but will not have a hard bottom to place weights one at a time to dial in my weighting. I will refrain from "serious" dives until I get comfortable and weighted correctly again, I just want to avoid dialing in my weight over 6-7 dives... Maybe some DIR guys??? Thanks in advance.

Put the suit in a bag, put weights with it to see what it takes to sink just the suit. Then do some math on the rest of your gear and that should put you in the ball park. Could probably have it dialed in with one dive that way.

As far as what to do with the weights on a safety stop. Might I suggest a lift bag and a game bag. Send the lift bag up, tie the net bag to your reel or spool, start taking weight off and placing in the bag. When you are dialed in put it all back and get on the boat.

My guess is the suit alone would probably take between 16 - 20lbs.

Other option, get fully dressed and weight check at the back of the boat before the dive. Put just enough on to start to sink. Once you have that number add 10lbs for the air you will lose during the dive (5 lbs per tank) should put you right on the money.

Put the suit in a bag, put weights with it to see what it takes to sink just the suit.
How does this work for his drysuit?

Flood the suit. Tell you what it takes to overcome the neoprene. Then you would treat it like any other drysuit. Just thinking outside the box for a solution.

I'd just weight before the dive and add for air. But that's just me.

I can't really play with bags and such due to a generally pretty significant current here.

Then just hold on to the ladder at the back of the boat and weight yourself to just start sinking. Climb back up. Add 10 lbs to that number. And go diving.

Then just hold on to the ladder at the back of the boat and weight yourself to just start sinking. Climb back up. Add 10 lbs to that number. And go diving.

It'll suck but you are probably right... We will see what happens

Will you be diving with a buddy? Are they willing to carry 4 extra pounds for you?

Will you be diving with a buddy? Are they willing to carry 4 extra pounds for you?
I was trying to avoid asking my buddy to be overweighted but ya that may be an option...

Can you determine how much weight you need for just you?

And then via a rowboat use a luggage or fish scale to measure the buoyancy of your bp/w, tanks with 500 psi, and regs?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom