Who travels with a spare mask and why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I take a spare on holiday and its generally used as a snorkelling mask by another member of the family. I don't carry it on dives or even have it a the dive centre buts its there in case I can't get a replacement locally. Where I dive the boats usually carry spares and the dive shops have plenty at reasonable prices.
I carry some cable ties that can fix a broken mask or fin strap

On one of my last trips a diver set their mask on the center table of the boat... something knocked it off and it shattered on the floor. I had just started bringing a spare mask - now I'm sure to bring a spare.

I bring 2 prescription masks. Because I am generally having to travel a long distance and use multiple aircraft to get to my dive site, I would be VERY unhappy if my primary broke and had to use a rental that I could not see clearly through. An extra $200 mask is cheap insurance when I spend $2000+ to go diving.

I use an Atomic Frameless 2 as primary and have a Frameless 1 in my wetsuit pocket at all times. My main concern is losing my mask at depth. Being frameless the back up folds flat inside a little velcro pouch originally from an SMB and presents no trouble at all.

As a CCR diver, I see a spare mask as an essential bit of kit. The chances of losing or damaging my main mask on a dive are slim, it is essential that I am always able to see the handset.

When I'm doing an easy bimble on a single cylinder, I still carry it; I have it, so I might as well carry it.

For easy recreational dives, I do not think a spare mask is essential, but there is no harm in having one.

As a CCR diver, I see a spare mask as an essential bit of kit. The chances of losing or damaging my main mask on a dive are slim, it is essential that I am always able to see the handset.

When I'm doing an easy bimble on a single cylinder, I still carry it; I have it, so I might as well carry it.

For easy recreational dives, I do not think a spare mask is essential, but there is no harm in having one.
Exactly. I've had a mask strap fail at 100' and I was happy that I had that spare in my pocket so I could continue bthe dive

I'm 'that' person who has spare everything. My dive box goes everywhere with me and has multiple hoses, masks, gloves, hoods, torches, etc. It has helped out on more than one occasion. At least I know I won't miss a dive unless something catastrophic happens, and has helped some others not miss dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom