Percentage of divers who go beyond openwater?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lol no pissing match at all here I just thought your cut and dried diver profile assessment and words "Top 1%" were somewhat amusing. You would have an idea of how many hundreds of thousands of DMs are out there I don't, I just know every third diver I bump into is invariably a DM. Be proud of that if you're a good one, you put in the hours and dollars, have a sense of humour too.

I wouldn't be surprised to find more people become PADI Divermasters than get the PADI Master Scuba Diver cert. I know a lot of instructors and DM's... but I don't know anyone that got MSD first. For me it was OW, AOW, nitrox, Rescue, DM, and then the IDC.

Poll started What is your highest certification?

Not scientific, but it's a try.

Bob

I got my OW in July of 2018 and fell in love with the sport. I went ahead and got my AOW and RD last year, and two days ago I enrolled in a divemaster program! Very excited, with the appropriate amount of nervousness.

Pic taken now. I’m unpacking my dive room from a house move. I may have a problem...

View attachment 500133

I feel your pain. I have a real problem walking past a boltsnap or double-ender in a shop without getting my credit card out. Do I need any more? Absolutely not! Do I want any more? Maybe just the one.

I'm not proud of it, but maybe coming out in a supportive group like this is the first step to recovery.

However putting enticing photos like your beautiful collection of shinny on display is starting to give me the DT's.

I feel your pain. I have a real problem walking past a boltsnap or double-ender in a shop without getting my credit card out. Do I need any more? Absolutely not! Do I want any more? Maybe just the one.

I'm not proud of it, but maybe coming out in a supportive group like this is the first step to recovery.

However putting enticing photos like your beautiful collection of shinny on display is starting to give me the DT's.

But surely buying just one more can't hurt? Right? After all, if I can't outfit more than 2 divers just from my spares I don't really have a problem...

You guys are making me feel better about tearing apart my BC in the winter, moving things 1/4”, putting that damn pocket back on, taking it off again, looking at myself wearing it in the blue mirror again... Sad, really, really sad.

The "Puppy Mill Program" here of pushing folks to DM is just a money grab for the shops. So few are actually working as this isn't a big diving environment. The shops never intended to have that many employees (slaves).

It is, however, cheaper than going Tech.......

Given the costs of doing DM locally (I know the costs as friends did it last year), I can do ITT and AN/DP - just course fees - for less than what DM is. DMs here help with courses and crew the dive boat(s) - they also have to have solo cert to crew the boat. Lotta money to shell out to schlep people’s gear around and herd students at the quarry. No way. Local folks push DM on me like SBers push Fundies. I have a standard answer for both sets of people. A very strongly worded no.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom