1000 posts and still not Red?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why cant one do both? Seems to go hand in hand. And we all would like this platform to remain up so we can share our hobby with one another.

Why cant one do both? Seems to go hand in hand. And we all would like this platform to remain up so we can share our hobby with one another.

I never said a SB member could not both contribute their posts and donate money. But, I strongly oppose criticizing a member for choosing to use their financial resources for other things, especially since I am not aware that SB is in financial danger of going down. If that situation should occur in the future, I am confident @The Chairman is smart enough to make a very strong plea for donations or charge a subscription fee for service. While I am sure Pete would appreciate any additional revenues to enhance the platform, I believe he feels all diver's are welcome and valued, whether or not they financially contribute.

Why must one do both?

I think that it is fair to say if the board were in any sort of financial distress and the Chairman put out a call he would be inundated.

Edit: Apparently a sentiment shared.

[QUOTE="Altamira, post: 8551239, member: 145632" While I am sure Pete would appreciate any additional revenues to enhance the platform, I believe he feels all diver's are welcome and valued, whether or not they financially contribute.[/QUOTE]

I agree 100%! No one said one "HAD" to donate? I'm just saying its a good thing to do so if your liking what you see here...that's all. If $10.00 bucks is a struggle, then by all means...dont donate. If one has the means and shares and receives advise here and great deals in the classifieds, then maybe one should.

Why must one do both?

I think that it is fair to say if the board were in any sort of financial distress and the Chairman put out a call he would be inundated.

Edit: Apparently a sentiment shared.
Donating has nothing to do with the financial stress (which there are none to my knowledge). One donates because they feel they're getting something out of the site they wouldn't have not being here.

IIRC, people can be supporting members but not have it visible on their account. So the fact that someone doesn't appear to be one doesn't mean they aren't. (Not me currently, but I have done that in the past.)

Donating has nothing to do with the financial stress (which there are none to my knowledge). One donates because they feel they're getting something out of the site they wouldn't have not being here.
People donate - or not - for a whole host of reasons, often very personal. It is presumptuous for you to judge what reasons I or anyone else may have.

People donate - or not - for a whole host of reasons, often very personal. It is presumptuous for you to judge what reasons I or anyone else may have.
I'm not judging....just saying it would be nice for people to support financially the site if they so feel inclined to do so...and sometimes a reminder or "nudge" is all that is needed.

I wont judge you if you never ever donate...that's your choice...just as its mine to donate and mine to freely post various topics on this site.

@flyboy08 , your words:

How can anyone post say 500, 1000 and yes, even 2000 posts without becoming a site supporter! Boggles the mind!

I assume it’s the same folks that don’t tip their DM :rolleyes:
We don't have to donate but we are cheapskates who don't tip if we don't?

And I'm not suggesting endowments folks....$25 once a year goes a long way...
You even go as far as telling us how much.

I'm sure The Chairman will let us know if he needs to change the way he allows people to access this (his) forum. We should be allowed to choose one of his options without being judged harshly by those who choose a different option.

I agree 100%! No one said one "HAD" to donate? I'm just saying its a good thing to do so if your liking what you see here...that's all. If $10.00 bucks is a struggle, then by all means...dont donate. If one has the means and shares and receives advise here and great deals in the classifieds, then maybe one should.
Now it's only $10, how magnanimous of you. :)

Or they donate because they want to show off a red banner. You can only know why you donate. I like the ads, I find in them a wealth of information. If things change I can always re-evaluate my chosen option.

You were judging, it was clear from the first post.

Edited to remove incomplete quoted reference.

I like the ads,
Only about %10 of our supporting members turn off ads. I certainly don't.

To everyone. I really appreciate this thread and hate to see people feeling "guilted" into supporting SB. I don't think that was the intent, and I know I certainly would not want any message like that. I try to be as open as I can... within reason, but I'm not going to beg. It's either worth it, or it's not: it's your choice. Worth your time, your insight, your efforts in promoting sb to others and possibly even your money. You do what you want to do here: not what others think you should do. Don't feel coerced. Don't feel guilted. Give only you see fit... or don't.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom