Warm Clothes under the Dry Suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DaddyJr

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello Everyone!

I will be doing the PADI Dry Suit Specialty in the UK next month and I was advised to bring "warm clothes", to be worn under the dry suit (so going in naked under the suit is not recommended then?).

Anyways, just want some recommendations/tips on what to wear. Can I just wear a skin suit and shorts underneath the dry suit? How about a 2-3mm wetsuit under the dry suit? Surely wearing a thick sweater and sweat pants would weigh me down too much, or should I not be concerned about that.

I have never dived in a cold environment before and have never had to use a dry suit.

Appreciate your views.

Assuming some form of a shell suit, a base wicking layer (dry-fit/silk/polartec) of tights & top, followed by insulation (polypropylene/fleece/wool) - sometimes multiple layers. Keep in mind, your warmth comes from the air space of the insulation.

Never cotton!

What type of drysuit (neoprene or shell), and what is the expected water temperature?

If you have any outdoorsy tech clothes already that's going to be your best and most frugal initial solution (think ski or hiking baselayers/thermals, cold weather running gear?) I'm a fan of merino wool thanks to its wicking, warming, and anti-stink properties. If you have a neoprene drysuit that may be all you need.

For under a shell suit, a sweatshirt/sweatpants or fleece will be fine to get you started. You will probably want to get purpose-made scuba undergarments if you'll be doing a lot of drysuit diving.

Contact the instructor you are diving with and ask them what they specifically mean by warm clothes. They should give you detailed information on drysuit undergarments. If they don't, find another shop or instructor to deal with.

I'm a bit surprised the shop doesn't stock rental undergarments if they have dry suits.
I would rely on the instructor to provide some general recommendations if they don't.

I would also ask as to what temperatures you should be expecting. What I wear under my drysuit when the water is 45*F is a lot different than when the water is 72*F. Moisture wicking layers as your first layer is crucial in my experience and then get progressively thicker. But keep in mind the more layers that you wear, the more your mobility will be restricted.

Medium to heavy weight polar fleece pants with running tights under, a thick polar fleece pullover top with an under armor shirt under it and thick wool socks should work for water temps around the UK this time of year.

-Z

No to a wetsuit under the drysuit.
I wear a merino wool baselayer and then my undergarment over that. I have two undergarments one the aqualung fusion and a Santi bz400 for when it's cold or I'm planning a long dive.
When I did open water and drysuit the undergarment came with the rental so I just had to bring baselayer. Check with shop and instructor to see what you need to bring.

Hello Everyone!

I will be doing the PADI Dry Suit Specialty in the UK next month and I was advised to bring "warm clothes", to be worn under the dry suit (so going in naked under the suit is not recommended then?).

I'd double check with the dive centre as I'm pretthey will
Anyways, just want some recommendations/tips on what to wear. Can I just wear a skin suit and shorts underneath the dry suit? How about a 2-3mm wetsuit under the dry suit? Surely wearing a thick sweater and sweat pants would weigh me down too much, or should I not be concerned about that.

I have never dived in a cold environment before and have never had to use a dry suit.

Appreciate your views.

I'd double check with the dive centre as I'm pretty sure they will provide the undersuit as well. Normal everyday clothes don't necessarily offer the same thermal qualities and are unlikely to wick moisture as efficiently. Where are you doing your course?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom