Northwest Florida Springs Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kate F

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm working on adv nitrox and deco certification but still adjusting to drysuit diving. So I've been traveling to FL from NC to get more dives - it's just too cold here to train. Been diving Williston area (Blue Grotto primarily since they allow sidemount and it's got some depth) but need some new spots. Was thinking of Northwest FL-Pensacola area. Could anyone give me some recommendations on a few spots there? Must be able to sidemount; preferably 110 - 150 ft depth. Thanks in advance!

Cavern is fine - that's how I get to 107' at Blue Grotto

Are you cavern trained?

Regardless, aren't going to get to 100' in a cavern either. The deepest I can think of is ~45' for cavern.

Paradise springs can get you to 150ish if cave certified, 100+ish with cavern certification. Nice wide, large spaces as well to learn to adjust drysuit without bouncing off anything. Some neat fossils to check out as well. It's near ocala.

Any particular reason you are looking to go deep? You can practice your trim and bouyancy and bottle handling skills in much shallower waters and save the depth for AN/DP course.

Are you cavern trained?

Regardless, aren't going to get to 100' in a cavern either. The deepest I can think of is ~45' for cavern.

Yes - cavern trained
So forgetting depth which sites in that area would you recommend? (Must allow sidemount)

Are you cavern trained?

Ballroom is 55ish at grate. Devils eye is in the 70 range in cavern, ear is similar, catfish hotel gets you to 50? So there are plenty that will get you deeper than 45, not a ton to get you over 100 though.

Any particular reason you are looking to go deep? You can practice your trim and bouyancy and bottle handling skills in much shallower waters and save the depth for AN/DP course.

Just that once my skills are where they need to be in a drysuit, the plan was to start the AN/DP dives in FL if possible since the water is much more pleasant than NC. Blue Grotto is 107'+ right now but thought we might check out a different area. If need be we can do shallow dives only in NW FL then go back to Blue Grotto when we need the depth.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom