Playa del Coco (mid-August 2019)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It likely won't rain much in Coco beach (driest part of the country), but if you head to the rain forest it can/will be wet. I've used "Tours your Way" for private tours, not cheap. If you can get Rey he is very good, the owner (can't remember his name) not so much. We went with the private tour because of our young son, we didn't want to slow down other people. But he can out hike my wife so...:)
@Scubanoobi *lol* children seem to have the stamina to hike more than the adults. I will take note of your guide and check around once I am there. I would love to cross over to Nicaragua and to see the olive ridley turtle nesting over at Ostional Beach - Arribadas if the timing is right! So looking for some tours/good guide will also be top of my list!

@Scubanoobi, you are making me super excited about the diving. Good to know the depth at Bats is less than 30m so that save me doing my Deep dive! I will heed your advice about Rocket Frog. A fast reliable boat for such a distant always help with the bum on the boat if the ride is rough! *lol* Are there any local dive sites that in your experience is a "Wow"? May I know if you bring your kit with you? If so, did Rocket Frog gives you any discount as their prices include kit. I have everything so I don't really need theirs. I am surprise that the currents are mild. I am expecting ripping currents and hold my breath on swimming into it and no where to hook up *lol* Going with the currents will be much easier.

Hahaha, I always say currents aren't bad, but my local diving is in a river:) I usually bring my own gear as well, I didn't bring my BCD last time and they rented me one for free (because I booked 5 trips).

As for local dive sites, they are all pretty decent, I can't think of any that were much better than others.

Hahaha, I always say currents aren't bad, but my local diving is in a river:) I usually bring my own gear as well, I didn't bring my BCD last time and they rented me one for free (because I booked 5 trips).

As for local dive sites, they are all pretty decent, I can't think of any that were much better than others.
@Scubanoobi I refused to dive in the UK and Europe. Freezing cold! You may be diving upstream in the river and that won't be easy! *lol* Cool, I will contact Rocket Frog under your recommendation!! Thank you sooo much!!!!!! Are you planning to visit there again this August?

@Scubanoobi I refused to dive in the UK and Europe. Freezing cold! You may be diving upstream in the river and that won't be easy! *lol* Cool, I will contact Rocket Frog under your recommendation!! Thank you sooo much!!!!!! Are you planning to visit there again this August?

Taking a year off from CR this year:) Too many other places on my list. I'll be back though.

Taking a year off from CR this year:) Too many other places on my list. I'll be back though.
@Scubanoobi i don't blame you! Indeed, there are many places in the world to go diving! Have fun wherever you decided to go this August!

Yeah, I would definitely return. I enjoy the Pacific side of Central America, but you have to be open to diving in lower viz and potentially cooler temperatures than the Caribbean. It's a charming country and I was very happy with the diving. And oooooh the sunsets. They can be stunning there! I have not done Cano Island, but now I'm intrigued.

Looks like the link to my pics in the trip report got broken in a software upgrade. You can find them here.

Yeah, I would definitely return. I enjoy the Pacific side of Central America, but you have to be open to diving in lower viz and potentially cooler temperatures than the Caribbean. It's a charming country and I was very happy with the diving. And oooooh the sunsets. They can be stunning there! I have not done Cano Island, but now I'm intrigued.

Looks like the link to my pics in the trip report got broken in a software upgrade. You can find them here.
@Sushi Boy I am always up for expanding my dive experiences. I never dive over at the Caribbean before so I can't tell if I like it. Oh ya, guess I will need to wait for you to check out Cano - the mini Coco!

Thank you @Skb. That sounds amazing! Thou I wish I am diving over there now than sit in the office typing this message to you! *lol* school of jacks! Which dive site is that? I love diving with lots of fishes.
El Classico. But the conditions change hourly here so you have to play it by ear. We did Roca peligrosa yesterday and saw 4 mata rays. The boat captain had a whale shark swimming around to boat while we were diving.

El Classico. But the conditions change hourly here so you have to play it by ear. We did Roca peligrosa yesterday and saw 4 mata rays. The boat captain had a whale shark swimming around to boat while we were diving.
@Skb, that is one thing about diving over at the Pacific side. Alot is weather dependent rather than season dependent. I cannot wait to go diving!!

Hi Yippy,
Diving in the summer is fine. The rain doesn't effect the vis. I have dove from Playa Del Coco around 15 trips winter & Summer. La Puerta del Sol is a nice small hotel and is 5 min from everything. Super Clean and not expensive. I dive with Rich Coast Diving. They can set you up with a Hotel /Dive package. Bat island has both Bull Sharks and a Manta Cleaning Station. They will want to see your skills on a local dive before they take you. It can be an advanced dive with some crazy surge & currents. Town is small but a fun safe place it eat and drink. Up the road to the right of the hotel is another group of restaurants & a supermarket. I walk everywhere. Taxis are 3 US dollars to restaurants outside of town. Have a Great Time!! Brenda(owner) from Rich Coast Diving can answer any Questions you have.

Back
Top Bottom