3mm Fullsuit time ... ScubPro/SubGear Definition vs. Waterproof W3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the pinnacle 3mm is a winner on value for money imo
I've heard good things about the Elastiprene Tempo XTs with the merino lining. From the charts, the sizing seemed a little off for my body, and also from some reports - more SP like or worse. If I had ready access to one locally, I would have definitely tried it, though.

And @ LP's price it sounds like a very good value.

Well, my W3s came in today. I went with the L to start as that was what the size chart said should be closest of the two. Bingo. XL still in box and will just go back - no need to open it.

I would prefer it if it was a little snugger in the hips and the neck was 1/2" shorter (probably not actually size related, just style) , but my arms and shoulders fit and I can bring my arms forward! Everything else is fitted but not overly snug. I probably could squeeze myself into the ML, but I would likely feel perpetually squeezed. I'll sacrifice a touch of warmth for the ability to actually move comfortably.

My takeaway is that (at least in L) the W3s run pretty true to the size charts and are actually cut for "average" humans, not twigs.

The neoprene seems comparably stretchy to the definition and, as listed, a bit thicker.
The lining is nice and seem like it will make wet don and doff easier.
Ankle and cuff seals are very stretchy and easy to get on and off. @ 7+ inches long, there is plenty of depth to sandwich tall boots and gauntlet gloves between the inner seal and the outer shell.

In-room the W3 seemed slightly less warm while on - admittedly different locations. I attributed it to the IR liner on the Definition, but when I peeled off the W3, I was just as sweaty. I think the cloth lining on the W3 made it feel less noticeable.

I'll try to remember to report back next month once I've had some dive time with it. Thanks for the input, guys!

Following, because much of this is pertinent to me, too. Thanks for posting!

I tried a W3 LT. I am 6'2 and 175-180. I have pretty skinny arms and legs. The water proof wood have needed biceps and shoulders about 25-50% larger to fit well.

Ended up with a Bare MLT (same as my 8mm) and it's pretty darn good.

I just got my Deep6 wetsuit yesterday. If you are in the market, they are running a special that includes a rashguard and gloves for $100 off the regular price of the suit alone. The suit is definately one of the better ones out there. It feels different than any others I have worn. I'll be diving it in Coz in a little over a week.

3mm Wetsuit w/ Rashguard and 3mm Gloves

Good luck,
Jay

Sorry, I should have jumped back in here sooner to report.

Overall, I'm very happy with it. Nice and not-limiting in the chest/shoulders and quality seems to be great. I just plain didn't notice any chill in Cozumel in late Dec.

Negatives, The outer neck is a little taller than I prefer and the wrist and ankle seals seemed a little looser than necessary once wet. I'm actually wondering if a Medium-Large might work a bit better for me, unfortunately, they don't seem to be regularly stocked so it would be a non-returnable special order.

I tried a W3 LT. I am 6'2 and 175-180. I have pretty skinny arms and legs. The water proof wood have needed biceps and shoulders about 25-50% larger to fit well.

Ended up with a Bare MLT (same as my 8mm) and it's pretty darn good.
I'm not surprised the WPs don't seem to be cut for a runner's build. The ScubaPro would probably be well cut for you.

Back
Top Bottom