Is there a time limit after classroom and pool.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First a small clarification: a Divemaster is NOT an Open Water Instructor.
I checked everywhere I could think to look, and did not find any PADI guidance on interrupted training. I swear I have read it in the past, just couldn’t find it. The one year limit that sticks in everyone’s memory I think comes from the paperwork limitations, and the stated “one year from last completed activity” on a referral. But I am pretty sure there was a specific article clarifying that interrupted learning does not have to start over again, but does require some common sense review and remediation to finish up.
You are correct. The 12-month expiration is only for referrals, not interrupted training with the same instructor or dive shop. However, (a) new paperwork needs to be completed, and (b) the instructor is obliged to reassess/remediate the student as to both knowledge and in-water skills.

upload_2019-2-11_10-1-16.png

You are correct. The 12-month expiration is only for referrals, not interrupted training with the same instructor or dive shop. However, (a) new paperwork needs to be completed, and (b) the instructor is obliged to reassess/remediate the student as to both knowledge and in-water skills.

View attachment 504583
That’s what I was looking for!!
I’ll have to send a note suggesting that is included somewhere in the Instructor’s Manual or the Guide To Teaching rather than only in a 2007 bulletin.

That’s what I was looking for!!
I’ll have to send a note suggesting that is included somewhere in the Instructor’s Manual or the Guide To Teaching rather than only in a 2007 bulletin.
Yeah, there is a LOT of useful stuff in those Training Bulletins....I wish much of it were in the IM. I actually preferred the old IM to the current minimalist version. Taking out all that good stuff and moving it to a different publication (Guide to Teaching) was not a good move, IMHO. It is not longer an Instructor Manual, it is a Summary of Standards. Now we have to look in three places to find things....

Personally, I wouldn't take a student for their open water dives after 14 months (even if it wasn't a referral) without first doing a thorough assessment of theory and in-water skills. Even after a couple of months, it has been my experience (from students that have been referred to my shop) that a good chunk of the skills have been forgotten regardless of how well they did them in the pool the first time around... but then again, I've seen people who claim to have dozens or even hundreds of dives who can't clear their masks properly..

Personally, I wouldn't take a student for their open water dives after 14 months (even if it wasn't a referral) without first doing a thorough assessment of theory and in-water skills. Even after a couple of months, it has been my experience (from students that have been referred to my shop) that a good chunk of the skills have been forgotten regardless of how well they did them in the pool the first time around... but then again, I've seen people who claim to have dozens or even hundreds of dives who can't clear their masks properly..
I think you would be hard pressed to find someone that disagrees.

I would have to get student into a pool first to evaluate retained skills and go from there before I would proceed to open water training..

Personally, I wouldn't take a student for their open water dives after 14 months (even if it wasn't a referral) without first doing a thorough assessment of theory and in-water skills. .

I would have to get student into a pool first to evaluate retained skills and go from there before I would proceed to open water training..

Yep, that's what the standards say. Evaluate and remediate as needed....THEN move on to continuing the course.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom