Advice / Recommendations for Coz in May ? New Divers...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

VWJarhead

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Looking to go to Cozumel to experience some warm water diving in a beautiful location (May 19-24). Going as a couple, both PADI OW (approx. 6 dives, hers in Egypt approx. 20 years ago and mine in Aruba this year) but I want to get my AOW either before or while there OR possibly just stick to dives on the shallower end for her sake and comfort. She is more interested in relaxing at beach and watching the water while I want to get in it however we will both be diving at least 2-3 days at least 2-3 tanks per day. Any recommendations for OPs for our level of inexperience. Also any ideas for lodging to accommodate both diving and relaxing? Thanks for any advice in advance.

In case it's helpful - My Research Notes from Planning Cozumel Trip - My Research Notes from Planning Cozumel Trip

Do you guys want to stay at a place (e.g.: resort) with a beach (as opposed to go visit one), and if so, just to look at, or to wade in and so forth? Do you like to be in or near the main city and eat out at various places, or does the idea of staying 'on the reservation' at an all-inclusive resort much of the time sound good to you? At least 2 - 3 days diving? Is this a very short trip, or are you planning to do other things the other days?

Do you know yourself to go through a tank very quickly (some new divers, and some not-so-new, do)? If so, a number of operators may offer 100-cf AL tanks (though at common fill pressures you might get ~ 90-cf, not 100), but a very few offer 120-cf steel tanks. Is that of interest?

Richard.

In case it's helpful - My Research Notes from Planning Cozumel Trip - My Research Notes from Planning Cozumel Trip

Do you guys want to stay at a place (e.g.: resort) with a beach (as opposed to go visit one), and if so, just to look at, or to wade in and so forth? Do you like to be in or near the main city and eat out at various places, or does the idea of staying 'on the reservation' at an all-inclusive resort much of the time sound good to you? At least 2 - 3 days diving? Is this a very short trip, or are you planning to do other things the other days?

Do you know yourself to go through a tank very quickly (some new divers, and some not-so-new, do)? If so, a number of operators may offer 100-cf AL tanks (though at common fill pressures you might get ~ 90-cf, not 100), but a very few offer 120-cf steel tanks. Is that of interest?

Richard.

As much as I would like to stay in the water all days I m pretty sure she wants to do a little sight seeing so there a compromise there. As for the lodging I think we would both prefer a beach to lounge and snorkel if possible. As far as gas goes she tends to be inconsistent while I can calm down a bit...Id say about 50min at 40 feet to be a "safe" average taking all possibilities into account. In her defense our first ocean dive together was supposed to be a 40 foot reef in calm water and turned out to be an UNEXPECTED drift in fairly swift current to 98 feet and a wreck and she had a travel reg that wanted to act funny at depth so she had a little "moment" lets say... But that's another story. Also looking to minimize cost as we have 2 other vacations with kids this year as well. We are also not in our 20s anymore so night life is take it or leave it. Just want to decompress so to speak...

I would look towards Secrets or one of the beach AIs down south for your stay. Cost is relative depending on time of year. I have caught many deals where Secrets is cheaper than Iberostar (I have stayed at both and would recommend either). There is a lot of info on here about AI vs hotels in town, but if your wife wants a beach, that would negate most of the places closer to town. Sabor is a sister resort of Secrets and is more family and budget friendly. It is a nice place, have stayed there several times and wouldnt hesitate to go back.

I personally dont find the Cozumel diving overly challenging and I dont consider myself anywhere close to an expert. However, you will be drift diving and most likely much deeper than 40-50 feet on most dives. If you like the added comfort, you can always go with a larger op and hire a personal guide for the first day. I personally like Living Underwater and Dive With Allison. Aldora, Blue XT and Dive with Martin are also well liked on the board.

Coz is addicting, be warned. I am still trying to rationalize staying in Cozumel this May instead of letting my non-diving friends have more fun on the mainland haha.

The Grand Occidental and On site ProDive...great beach for hanging out after dives...two pools too!

(approx. 6 dives, hers in Egypt approx. 20 years ago and mine in Aruba this year)
She did 6 dives 20 years ago? I’d suggest total retraining. Then for the two of you, hire a private DM for the first couple of dives. Cozumel currents can be shocking to newbies.

The only place with a nice beach and OK snorkeling is the Hotel Presidente, or Playa Azul in the north. Those All inclusives down south have only boring sand to look at while snorkeling.

As to a beach, if you are looking for a white sand beach, then the comments above are spot on. If you are OK with waterfront, then you have additional choices in town. Some of the in town hotels have waterfronts with space, some shallow sand, hammocks, bar/ food service, fairly easy water entries and good snorkeling. The advantage is walkability or a short cab ride to town and access to great restaurants at reasonable to cheap prices.
We have stayed at Casa Del Mar and Hotel Cozumel. Our current favorite is Hotel Cozumel because it is closer to town with a huge pool area. Nice beach front, though I have not yet snorkeled there. When we travel,with non-divers, this hotel is a great choice.
This site has lots of info on hotels and restaurants. For a budget friendly option, in town hotels can't be beat. Just consider whether you need a beach or whether waterfront is ok.

No one seems to agree with me, but I'll recommend the Hotel Barracuda and the slow boat from Dive Paradise. On the beach, all rooms have a ocean view Lanai, and boat pickup on property. Snorkeling is not great, but if you look enough you'll find something interesting. Easy walk access to town and a supermarket across the street. Dive Paradise slow boat is geared towards the non hard core diver.
The only drawback to the Barracuda in my mind is the popular, on site beach bar. But it quiets down pretty early. Also, the Hotel is pretty easy going. Be prepared to carry your bags to your room.

Also looking to minimize cost as we have 2 other vacations with kids this year as well.
Since I'm a cheapskate, I'll throw my 2 cents here:

Lodging - We used to do all-inclusive (AI), but now know there are so many good restaurants at reasonable prices that we prefer either small hotels or AirBnB, plus Cozumel is a great island to explore rather than just stay holed-up at a resort. If you start booking early, you can find some great deals on AirBnB's on the water. Just research well, because many of those have either no beach or small man-made beach, then steps into the water (note that the places with the best beaches generally don't have the best snorkeling, and vice-versa). We get some great fresh baked goods in town for breakfast, and generally eat near the beach for lunch and in town for dinner.

For cheaper all-inclusive, the Melia north of town often has good deals, their beach is not bad (you are also allowed to snorkel at the more rocky beach next door, which has more fish and clearer water), the water there can get a bit murky at times, the food is fairly good for AI. The Allegro in the south has some of the cheapest rates, one of the best sandy beaches, but boring snorkeling and food that is edible but ranges from good breakfast to cafeteria-grade for lunch and dinner (safe, edible, but not great). Melia is not far from town, short drive or can even be a longish walk along a walking path (about 3.5 miles). Allegro is about a twenty-something minute car/taxi ride (about 12 miles).

Diving - The cheapest diving with a highly rated (on TripAdvisor, etc.) dive shop is Dive with Martin, and their rates also include use of all basic gear (a pretty big plus, especially for 2, if you don't own your gear or don't want to schlep it). Downside, depending on your schedule, is that morning dives are early and afternoon and night dive availability is not guaranteed, and they want most of the payment in cash (other than reservation deposit). A runner up for cheap & highly rated is Tres Pelicanos - downside is prices are slightly higher and gear is not included, upside is that if you book in advance you only need 2 divers to guarantee afternoon or night dives, and you can pay with credit card. Because we own our gear and want some guaranteed afternoon and night dives, we're planning to go with Tres Pelicanos on our next trip.

Hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom