Feedback on Grand Cayman dive sites for new guidebook

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Turtle Reef is arguably better for diving than Lighthouse Point or Cobalt Coast except you can access the North Wall from CC.

While Turtle Reef is a good dive - it would be a lousy map. The mini-wall starts 50' offshore and drops to about 70' and parallels the shore. Then there's acres of sand flats and finally the west end of the wall.

Lighthouse is a shore dive - Divetech is there.

There's a pinnacle at Babylon - it's the main feature. Comes up from very deep.

If you haven't already check out idivecayman.com for videos of a lot of the sites so you can find some with features you want to map.

If you live/rent at Hepps Condos there's a ladder out to the Hepps sites but most do them by boat. Hepps Arch would be a better map since it is one. IIRC it's standalone.

Another vote for Turtle Reef. It’s a popular shore dive. Also, wanted to say thank you for doing the mapping.

Thanks for the feedback. We'll be sure to let you know when we complete the work. Guidebook is due for publication in the summer.

Turtle Reef is arguably better for diving than Lighthouse Point or Cobalt Coast except you can access the North Wall from CC.

While Turtle Reef is a good dive - it would be a lousy map. The mini-wall starts 50' offshore and drops to about 70' and parallels the shore. Then there's acres of sand flats and finally the west end of the wall.

Lighthouse is a shore dive - Divetech is there.

There's a pinnacle at Babylon - it's the main feature. Comes up from very deep.

If you haven't already check out idivecayman.com for videos of a lot of the sites so you can find some with features you want to map.

If you live/rent at Hepps Condos there's a ladder out to the Hepps sites but most do them by boat. Hepps Arch would be a better map since it is one. IIRC it's standalone.

That's great feedback - thanks. Will definitely check out idovecayman. Thanks again

When you find Hepps condos please let us know......LOL

Ian there is a sub forum for the Cayman Islands under the "Greater Antilles" forum you would be better going on there and getting feed back from people who Dive there on a regular basis also those that Live Work and Own on island are all regulars there.

Cayman Islands

Are you trying to do something like this?

Dive 365

And please let me know when you find Hepps condos and Hepps arch...LOL

Also chiming in for Babylon. Would also personally recommend Oro Verde (if it's not crowded), Kelly's Caverns, and Pedro's Castle.

When you find Hepps condos please let us know......LOL

Ian there is a sub forum for the Cayman Islands under the "Greater Antilles" forum you would be better going on there and getting feed back from people who Live Work and dive there on a regular basis and Own on island.

Cayman Islands

Are you trying to do something like this?

Dive 365

And please let me know when you find Hepps condos and Hepps arch...LOL

Thanks - I'll repost on there.
Not sure what you mean by Hepps condos or Hepps arch.
We're not putting together a Dive 365 type website. We're produce hardcopy guidebooks, kind of like a Lonely Planet for divers and snorkeler. These guides are also available as ebooks. They have detailed 3D maps of each site. We also reproduce these maps as wall posters, briefing charts for dive operators and waterproof slates for divers to take into the water.
Here's an example of the breifing charts: Reef Smart
You can find out more here: www.reefsmartguides.com.
Thanks, Ian

Ian take a look at "Testudos guide to snorkeling".....he is a regular contributor in the Cayman forum and has put together a very comprehensive guide .

Someone in this thread mentioned hepps condos and hepps arch...…..I am still waiting for them to tell us where that is.

I would think that the primary shore dive sites should be prioritized and would be most helpful, since those are dived typically without a DM or any type of dive briefing from a boat. So, your maps would prove very helpful. You seem to have those listed for the most part (Lighthouse Point, Turtle Reef, Hepp's Pipeline, Eden Rock/Devil's Grotto) - you might also want to include Sunset House, as it is a popular shore dive site?

As for dive sites reached by boat, you have a pretty good list already. But, I would definitely add Trinity Caves- For me, it is the signature dive on the West Wall.

I agree with Trailboss re shore dive priority.

On the North, some of the more popular sites include;
Ghost Mountain
Eagle Ray Pass
Princess Penny's Pinnacle
Lemon Wall and Reef
Lesley's Curl

Babylon should also be on any Cayman dive guide.

I don't get South and East much so someone else will have to chime in. Several GC divemasters frequent this board and they should be able to help you.

by the way, if you are back in March, you may not get out to the north wall much because of weather.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom