Portable O2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CNTdiver

Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried out those O2 safety systems that actually create oxygen through a chemical process? I saw one on Ebay and thought that it would be a great idea for our dive club. To clarify what this is, I am speaking of the emergency O2 for OUT OF THE WATER. Just thought it would be great so first I can have it in case an emergency did occur and second that I would not have to get it filled after I fly. What are your takes on it?

I am not sure what is in the tank to create the O2 and I am not sure how being around the water would effect it. I would be hard pressed to even try it.

And I do not think you would get it anywhere near a plane these days.

Good Luck

NEWreckDiver:
I am not sure what is in the tank to create the O2 and I am not sure how being around the water would effect it. I would be hard pressed to even try it.

And I do not think you would get it anywhere near a plane these days.

Good Luck

Alright, thanks. Hey, if you see anything on it, let me know.

CNTdiver:
Has anyone ever tried out those O2 safety systems that actually create oxygen through a chemical process? I saw one on Ebay and thought that it would be a great idea for our dive club. To clarify what this is, I am speaking of the emergency O2 for OUT OF THE WATER. Just thought it would be great so first I can have it in case an emergency did occur and second that I would not have to get it filled after I fly. What are your takes on it?

I am not certain which units you are talking about. Can you point me to them?

The units we use in the airlines, other than the the pax O2 medical cylinders, are actually thermal chemical units. What are these?

CNTdiver:
In the (Canadian) navy we have a few of those things. One is called an Emergency Escape Breathing Device and is basically a hood you put over your head with a neck seal and a small cannister that you activate. It produces oxygen for about 15 minutes. The other is called CHEMOX and is used for fire-fighting. It is a metal cannister that has an internal "candle" that burns when you pull a pin and reacts with the moisture in your breath to produce oxygen for about 1 hour. I think CHEMOX was actually designed for use in mines. Both of these systems generate heat and are not supposed to be used in an explosive atmosphere. Once you start them, you can't stop them and continue using them later. We've had some problems occasionally with some defective cannisters that catch fire when you activate them. - Rather awkward when you're wearing the mask on your head. They also have a limited "shelf life" and do expire. Basically I think these systems are more trouble than they're worth for what you're using them for (If you try to take one on a plane, I hope you have a good lawyer) . It would be alot safer, easier and probably much cheaper to use a regular cylinder of oxygen.

They are called oxygen generators. A chemical reaction that produces O2, heat , and some bad stink. I used to use them in nuke/radioactive environments. As a reminder, O2 generators were to blame for the Go Blue? airlines crash in the flordia swamp a few years back. Id just count on having O2 available localy, but it was a good idea.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom