need a good rec for dive operator out of port of Belize City

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

texasgingerbread

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, looking for recommendations for a dive outfit out of Belize City. Someone on our ship is using Sea Sports Belize. Anyone used them or recommend another? Thanks.

We used Splash dive center when we ported in Belize about a year ago. Others I'm sure can give you more detail but where and when you port will dictate what you can dive. Ralph Capeling is one of the owners of Splash Dive Center and will go out of his way to get you diving and accommodate your schedule if he can do so.
http://www.splashbelize.com

I looked for options the last time we stopped at Belize City on a cruise ship, a couple years ago. I was led to believe, after an extensive search, that Sea Sports is the only dive op in Belize City. That doesn't mean it's the only option... there are other dive ops in the surrounding islands, and it looks like Splash (in post above) is about 60 miles south of Belize City. But Belize City does seem to present a unique challenge in finding and coordinating with dive ops (in contrast to Cozumel, Roatan, Grand Cayman... where there's more dive ops than you can count.)

One cruise trip we booked with the ship's dive op because the dive boat picked us up and dropped us off right at the cruise ship; we didn't have to take the tender into Belize City.

my thoughts --- Belize is a port where it is a long long boat ride out to the reefs from where the ships anchor for the day. I wouldn't use an independent op for that reason. If you book thru the ship, the dive op picks you up AT the ship, and takes you out directly, not need to take tender to shore then depart from there. Also, the ship will wait for you if you book thru them. If you book independently, and something happens and you don't make it back by sail time, you are on your own, the ship will leave.

Splash Dive is in Placencia in far south Belize. I believe there's a new cruise stop there now which is probably where the previous poster ^^ ported.

Won't work for Belize City - it's a flight south from there.

afaik your only option is Sea Sports now. I believe Hugh Parkey's was the operator who did the pickups at the ship since they moor offshore and tenner in. I don't think they do any longer.

You could check with Ralph though for other options. He's here on SB as Ralph Capeling

There is a new cruise port down by Placencia, but it is built and owned by NCL, and they are the only ships docking there. Everyone else is still anchoring outside of Belize City.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom