Best diving computer on the Market

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The OP was looking for recommendations for the Suunto DX so the conversation probably isn't of much interest to him.

Hi scrane,

And the title of the thread is: "The best diving computer on the market". So you are right, we have gone down a rabbit trail as of late.

dive on,
markm

I've found this thread, and sister thread discussing GFLo / NDLs very interesting, having recently purchased a Perdix AI. So even if the OP was disappointed, I wasn't.

I've found this thread, and sister thread discussing GFLo / NDLs very interesting, having recently purchased a Perdix AI. So even if the OP was disappointed, I wasn't.

Hi scrane,

I agree with you on all counts. The GFlo/NDLs was an interesting thread. StuartV, et allia, did a great job on that thread.

StuartV explained the topic in clear and concise ways so that I could remember the training and other documents I had read on the subject. I was a little foggy on the subject matter to start with.

markm

Really it was overwhelming .. i feel the thread went on a different path than intended to I feel responsible for that as my topic mislead people and they thought i'm looking for the best DC which actually i need some feedback on the Suunto DX and some recommendation for a first time owning a diving computer!!

anyhow all feedbacks are appreciated and sure i learnt something :)

Really it was overwhelming .. i feel the thread went on a different path than intended to I feel responsible for that as my topic mislead people and they thought i'm looking for the best DC which actually i need some feedback on the Suunto DX and some recommendation for a first time owning a diving computer!!

anyhow all feedbacks are appreciated and sure i learnt something :)

Hi Kikoz,

Mislead is little harsh, confused us is a better word, I think.

Let us know how you like you new computer, whichever one you buy, when you start diving it.

cheers,
markm

Hello,

That's my first post here.
Like the OP I'm in the market for a new dive computer. I've got a Suunto Vyper at the moment and it mostly does the job.
I'm trying to pass a CMAS *** certification and there are quite a few technical procedures that would be a lot easier with a wrist-style (as in permanently lit, big screen, worn on the arm) computer. That would be also an added security feature when I'm certified and lead novice divers.

I've been reading this thread (and others around here) and the consensus seems to be that Shearwater Perdix is the one to get. However I'm based in Europe and the prices usually quoted here are USD and don't really match what I see in Europe in EUR. There are feature-equivalent (or so it looks to me) computers for half the price of the Perdix.

Considering the wide experience of members here I would appreciate some feedback on the computers available to me (prices are all in EUR). I've made a shortlist of computers that will allow me to potentially get towards multi-gas deco (if I ever get there).
- Perdix AI: 900EUR
- Perdix AI + transmitter: 1250EUR
- Divesoft Freedom Basic Nitrox - www.divesoft.cz/de/products/69-freedom-basic-nitrox/ - 641.30EUR
- Ratio iX3M Easy - www.ratio-computers.eu/en/ix3m-gps-dive-...y-0762307939055.html - 799EUR
- OSTC Sport - heinrichsweikamp.com/ostcsport2.html - 495EUR
- OSTC 2 TR - heinrichsweikamp.com/ostcsport2.html - 625EUR
- divecomputer.eu/ - 575EUR
- Liquivision Lynx + transmitter - liquivisioncomputers.com/lynx-air-integrated-computer.php - 649EUR
- Scubapro G2 + transmitter - https://ww2.scubapro.com/en-GB/SWE/instruments/computers/products/g2.aspx - 865EUR

As you can see the Perdix + transmitter is 2 times more expensive than the Lynx + transmitter.
The divecomputer.eu looks like the best price/feature option as it comes in with all features enabled.
The Lynx looks like the best price/feature for a AI computer.

Happy to hear any feedback.

Cheers,
--
Arnaud

When I look at the Lynx it shows it at $1,649 USD for the computer, transmitter, interface, charger and batteries.

What features are not enabled in the other options that are enabled in the divecomputer.eu?

Hey Arnaud,

Welcome to SB!

Your price for the Perdix is high, I paid about 320EUR less than you, I'm in Australia. Is buying one from the US an option?

I've only ever had one computer(Perdix AI), and I love it. Yes, I'm probably bias, but I'd say get the Perdix.

Cheers, Mike

SP G2 does not run Buhlmann with GF, probably not ideal for tech. Liquivision is discontinued, runs 3 presets, no custom GF. Divesoft and Ratio models would have to be upgraded for tech. The HW computers would work. divecomputer.eu would work.

Do you want AI? In that case Shearwater, Ratio, or HW offer appropriate choices

Thanks for the quick replies.

When I look at the Lynx it shows it at $1,649 USD for the computer, transmitter, interface, charger and batteries.

What features are not enabled in the other options that are enabled in the divecomputer.eu?

I saw an offer where it was on sale for 650EUR as a package.
Another member mentions that it's discontinued so I guess that explains it.

Some of the options not enabled in the other computers are trimix, rebreather mode.
They are admittedly very "tech" options and I don't envision doing any of that right now.
The OSTC need an unlock (~120EUR) to go trimix or add more gases.

Hey Arnaud,

Your price for the Perdix is high, I paid about 320EUR less than you, I'm in Australia. Is buying one from the US an option?

The prices in USD match the EUR ones (at least when I look at US sellers on ebay).
Unfortunately I would need to pay local VAT (+ 19%) and that makes the final price even higher than the local ones :(

The prices for the Perdix do look pretty uniform (less than 100EUR difference for the full pack) wherever I look online.

Do you want AI? In that case Shearwater, Ratio, or HW offer appropriate choices

I'm not sure about AI. I usually don't need to look at my finimeter that much and can guesstimate where I am.
One of my colleagues has the Perdix AI + transmitter and tells me it gives him some extra security when doing deep air dives. He has a display of his calculated remaining air at the end of the dive (or something like that).

The more I look the more the Perdix looks like the (quite expensive) better option.
I've yet to come across a post of someone that has a Perdix and says something negative about it.
And I've yet to see a post from someone having a Perdix and another computer saying that they like the other better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom