Universal BP/W for cold water and travel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have done two trips to Bonaire with my SS plate and HOG 32 pound wing. The SS plate provided the perfect amount of ballast while diving AL 80s with a rash guard. While a smaller wing would have been nice It worked fine. It's really a trade off between weight in airline luggage and comfort in the water.

If you don't mind paying the H tax: Halcyon Traveler Pro BC - Halcyon Dive Systems

I've got one with the 40# wing. Lightweight polymer plate designed for single tanks so no STA to faff with, comes with lightweight alloy D-rings (I've swapped mine with SS steel D-rings) and has pockets for up to four 4# weights on the back of the plate beneath the wing. For vacation diving I just take out the weights from the pockets and I'm good to go (at least after removing the drysuit hose from my 1st stage and plugging the port). 40# lift is a bit of overkill if I'm in a 5 mil, but I want that much lift when I'm diving dry and haven't bothered to buy a wing dedicated for travel.

I was where you are and here is where I landed and here is my review of the XDeep Ghost. You may find it helpful - I have Zero regrets and happy about my choice. What few things that seemed like issues early on, became non-issues after a few more dives: Review: XDeep Ghost BCD- BP/W

I do equal parts cold water diving in the Puget Sound/California Channel Islands in a drysuit and the other half traveling to warm water locations. About 200 dives a year. Super happy.

I dive using the OMS comfort harness and the 45lb deep ocean wing with the bungees. I Dive a dry-suit in Alaska and dive with 40lbs this provides plenty of lift for me and because of the bungees it shrinks down to a nice compact size when not much air is needed. Its really easy to adjust from bulky dry-suits to a rash guard with just a simple pulling of the straps and is really comfortable in any configuration I use it in.
The only thing I change when diving warm water is that I will swap out my weight pouches to the smaller ones but this isn't necessary I only do it because I have them.

Halcyon Infinity with a 40# wing and a DUI weight harness does everything you’re asking well. If travel weight is a major concern, go with the aluminum plate and weighted STA. Ditch the weight for travel. The extra harness pockets can effectively replace drysuit pockets in warm water. Harness on the Infinity adjusts to fit your exposure protection with a tug of the waistbelt.

Not the cheapest solution, but resale value is good and you won’t need to replace it anytime soon. The Traveler noted above is a great option too.

Lance

Thanks everyone for answers, really appreciate your help.

Halcyon Infinity is a bit out of my budget unfortunately.
I'd like to get a few more comments on Mirage 23/38lb BP/W Package please, as it seems like a really good deal for a novice in BP/Ws:
  1. is there anything inherently bad with this design I should be aware of?
  2. if I get it with alu plate (to save weight in luggage), when I get back to Seattle - would I be able to add weight pockets on cambands, or would I need separate SS backplate?
  3. this set comes with STA. Do I really need it for warm water diving, or could I leave it home and mount tank directly to backplate?
  4. is there any difference between Hog and Diverite/Hollis backplates to warrant price difference (not much, but still)?
  5. would this setup also work for my wife, or does she need drastically different lift/harness/whatever else?

the whole bungee wing idea has been done before by dive rite and oms. in practice it doesn't work that well. you end up with folds where air gets trapped sometimes if you have the wing sized down.

the mirage wing has no slots, so a sta is required

plates are plates for the most part, but the finish is nicer on some and also the cheap ones are 304 which is not as corrosion resistant

Thanks everyone for answers, really appreciate your help.

Halcyon Infinity is a bit out of my budget unfortunately.
I'd like to get a few more comments on Mirage 23/38lb BP/W Package please, as it seems like a really good deal for a novice in BP/Ws:
  1. is there anything inherently bad with this design I should be aware of?
  2. if I get it with alu plate (to save weight in luggage), when I get back to Seattle - would I be able to add weight pockets on cambands, or would I need separate SS backplate?
  3. this set comes with STA. Do I really need it for warm water diving, or could I leave it home and mount tank directly to backplate?
  4. is there any difference between Hog and Diverite/Hollis backplates to warrant price difference (not much, but still)?
  5. would this setup also work for my wife, or does she need drastically different lift/harness/whatever else?
By and large, a backplate is a backplate IMO. Some differ in slot / hole positioning, which is the only thing I am aware to keep an eye for. Some older plates could not be used without a STA for single tank diving as they didn't have camband slots (also some wings). Here is one example.

Backplate cam band slots?

I am not aware of this being an issue with any current products, but different positioning of the slots still is. Buying a combo / package eliminates this worry so long as you don't decide to mix & match in the future.

There may be a difference in finish, and only you can say what that may be worth to you.

Some wings are designed to reduce tank roll and are better suited for single tank without a STA. My HOG 32 is like this. If the wing does not have built in stabilizers, it will still work without a STA but may roll back and forth more - I have no experience with this, so can't say how tolerable or bad this might be. All I can say is that I have never felt the need for a STA with my HOG wing, and it is certainly more stable than the SeaQuest Balance it replaced (which was OK in its own right).

The DRIS description suggests that to me that the Mirage wings do not have stabilizer pads as they recommend the STA for roll control. EDIT: It appears that this wing does not have camband slots. STA required.

IMO this HOG setup with the 32 lb wing is as good as any you will look at. I don't find the 32lb wing to be a problem when south in warm water, and it has served me well diving a 2 piece 7mm in cold.

Hog Hogarthian Package

I bought an aluminum backplate for travel. It only saves a couple of pounds for travel and it meant more lead to add at the destination. And so I generally travel with my steel backplate, but that is an individual preference and based on the fact that if I am taking a second bag just for dive gear 2-3 pounds are not the make or break that make the difference.

Regardless, I use weight pockets on my wing for trim. No reason they could not be used to compensate for aluminum versus steel.

A standard BPW with continuous harness will work for pretty much anyone. Having said that, I have read that some women prefer a harness with a chest strap.

Hope this helps.

I’m not positive, but I believe @boulderjohn was one of the test divers for the Mirarge wing. If not, I’d shoot Mike @Dive Right In Scuba a message and he should be able to help you out!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom