Suunto Eon Steel/Core Transmitter/Pod Battery

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

waja

Registered
Reaction score
I bought a used Suunto Eon Steel/Core Transmitter/Pod. I then hooked it up to test with my Eon Core. Nothing. No signal at all. I opened up the Pod and pulled the battery. It read 3.60V. I then put the battery in and checked the voltage again. 2.37V. The seller had replaced the original battery with one from his LDS. It was not a good battery. So I went on Amazon to search for a better battery. I bought three different brands and tested each one. Here is the data for testing on 2/19/2019. The Installed time was 30 seconds after installing the battery. In the working cases, this voltage always fluctuated.

Lisun - Made in China
Date Code A 18 03 19 (March 19, 2018)
Voltage 3.60 - Installed 2.37V

Saft - Made in France
Date Code 18173A214 (June 22, 2018)
Voltage 3.61V - Installed 3.47-3.55V 30 seconds

XENO XL-050F - Made in Korea
Date Code TLA8-0518 (May, 2018)
Voltage 3.65V - Installed 3.54-3.61V

OmniCel - Made in China
Date Code JAN 18 JFB (JAN, 2018)
Voltage 3.64V - Installed 3.47-3.54V

This is a known problem. It's not the transmitter nor the compute but the batteries.

My LDS had similar issues with my Pods.

On further investigation (by them) it appears there is a huge counterfeit market for batteries (who would of thought) which are really convincing.

My understanding (I'm no expert) is that measuring the battery voltage on its own isn't a good guide. They (my LDS) built a load tester because as you saw the voltage can drop dramatically. They had a 30% failure rate of unsuitable batteries from different sources and brands.

Now they check each and every battery prior to installation and teh problem has "gone away" - I don't know what they do with the sub standard "new batteries" with regard to refunds or exchange.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom