Gear and Tips for the Bearded Diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

though13

UUUUUHHHHHHH
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello, All!

My husband and I are signing up to get our PADI OW. The local program requires us to have our own masks. My husband has quite the beard, and I am wondering:
1. Do you find that particular brands/models of masks/skirts are best for bearded divers?
2. Do you have any tips or tricks to help get the best seal possible?

Thanks!!

Mark

I had a fairly substantial goatee when I first became certified. I found a mask that was a good fit, and then I used a bit of chapstick under my nose. Worked pretty well. Thankfully, the air pressure at the bottom of the skirt mask (where the hair is) should be near balanced with the ambient water pressure. I often had fine bubble noises as the air and water equalized each other with changes in depth, but I rarely had and any leakage that approached “flooding” levels.

Most of the time a small exhale through the nose cleared any minor issues.

Dollar Shave Club | Look, Feel, & Smell your best

ha ha ha just kidding

Mask fit is generally based on face shape, not mustache. Use the commonly shared mask testing technique that every shop knows (suck it onto your face through nose, and compare the success of the seal).

But, don't let that fool you. When diving, it isn't a suction fit. Actually, you exhale out your nose occasionally to keep some pressure in the mask and prevent squeezing (uncomfortable). Many people have a little water leaking and have to 'clear' the water occasionally, which is one of the key skills taught in class. Facial hair can cause a little leaking, but nothing too bad. Getting your skull's hair inside the mask around your forehead is much worse, since air can go out and water inward.

When in class or pool practice, I don't shave, and deal with a little leaking. When I go for a week's scuba vacation, I do shave.

If your husband is sporting a long, fuzzy, and well established flavor-saver, he might be hesitant to shave for any reason. If it is a thin, tight, and frequently trimmed GQ look, it only takes a few days to regrow.

I wouldn't say I have substantial facial hair, but I have enough that it could potentially cause a leak at eh bottom of the skirt if I don't put my mask on properly. One trick is to shave the very top of the mustache just under the nose to create a "bare" spot for the mask skirt to sit. Also, when putting the mask on, he can pull his upper lip downward rolling it inward over his top teeth and that will help seat the mask, too. Just need a clear spot for the very bottom of the skirt to sit beneath the nasal pocket. The rest of his facial hair should be fine as is.

+1 on shaving a little just below your nose (or your husband’s in this case). Maybe 1/4” - 3/16” is all that is needed with my mask and I suspect most others.

Welcome to diving and to ScubaBoard!

Mark

Had a nice mustache when I did my Discover Scuba. Really enjoyed the discover scuba but the mask leaked too much. Had to make a choice... :)

I sport a full beard and use a cheap prescription mask by Seavision. I got my first Seavision mask before I grew any facial hair for snorkeling/freediving and upgraded to a black skirted mask from same company after certification. Never experienced any problems besides slight leakage when I smile underwater but it’s small and is cleared easily.

I personal don’t believe beards/facial hair cause any real problems it’s just the overall mask it. People without beards have the same problems as well.

I sport a full beard and use a cheap prescription mask by Seavision. I got my first Seavision mask before I grew any facial hair for snorkeling/freediving and upgraded to a black skirted mask from same company after certification. Never experienced any problems besides slight leakage when I smile underwater but it’s small and is cleared easily.

I personal don’t believe beards/facial hair cause any real problems it’s just the overall mask it. People without beards have the same problems as well.

I agree, depending on the season I'm either shaved or have a full beard. I have never had an issue either way with a well fitting mask.

I shave occasionally and don't sport a beard or a mustache. But the most leaky masks I've had have been with a 5-7 day stubble on my upper lip.

Just providing a data point.

I've been told that a decently liberal application of petroleum jelly to the mustache may help against leaks. No personal experience, though.

I've found that my facial hair compresses under the mask skirt under pressure. It leaks slightly when shallow but stops at depth. I used to shave prior to every dive trip as I saw people with mustaches applying a bunch of Vaseline to their upper lips to provide sealing. One trip, I forgot my shaving stuff and just dove with a bushy beard and found it to not be an issue at all.

As a novice diver, the slight leak may well be a major issue. Once he's gained a little more experience, it's much less likely to be a big deal. I'm not sure why, but water in the mask seems to be a big stumbling block for many learning divers.

One thing I'd recommend is working with the shop to not have to buy a mask until you've both gotten some pool time. This is something I recommend regardless, as there's no great way of confirming fit when dry, at the surface, and without a reg in your mouth. If that's not feasible, get a snorkel or regulator mouthpiece and try on masks with that in your mouth. Then gently set the mask on top of your face while looking up and inhale through your nose to confirm that it seals. Any mask will seal when you crush it against your face and the mouthpiece will deform your upper lips enough to give a very different fit/feel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom