Gear and Tips for the Bearded Diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another solution...although not for OW class...is a full face mask. Just throwing it out there.

How would that help? With a full beard, a full face mask is actually more problematic than a standard mask.

How would that help? With a full beard, a full face mask is actually more problematic than a standard mask.

Not that I've seen. My brother in law has a full mountainman beard and dive a ffm without any issues.

On a boat a few years ago a guy said to me - I want your mask. I asked why and he said with your beard it must be a great mask. I said - it leaks like a sieve! So yea it will leak some. I recently replaced my OLD mask and the new one seals WAY better. It is an inexpensive Scubamax. The skirt is much softer. My old had gotten, well old. Bruce at Caribe Inn Bonaire spent a few minutes fitting me for the new one. He was looking at the width of the mask on my face. Too wide on a narrow face will set you up for leaking. As others have said a little leaking is ok. You get used to it.

Reactions: mbs
I have a full beard/mustache. I tend to rent equipment and occasionally get one that leaks. A little vasoline around the 'stache usually solves the problem.

Vaseline is generally not recommended in contact with silicone and will degrade it over time. There are silicone products similar in consistency to Vaseline sold as "mask seal" and come in a tube like Chapstick. I'd recommend trying something like that over Vaseline.

I haven't shaved my upper lip since I was in boot camp in the Navy. I don't really have problems with masks leaking. My current mask is the Atomic Venom. It has some nice soft skirt material but I mostly got if for the higher quality glass. I used to have less expensive masks and they worked just as well.

I love my beard and that was a huge worry for me. My instructor let me know there'd be inevitable leakage in my mask. I bought some of the silicon mask sealant that looks like chap stick and that worked OK my first dive. On my next one I shaved down my mustache (think a #3 on my electric trimmer) and coated it with the silicon. I still had a little leakage but I only had to clear my mask twice in 25min. Definitely doable and worth it!

Back
Top Bottom