BP/W Setup Question - Thinking XDeep

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does anyone have any experience working with the Halcyon system for a GUE setup?

Yes, probably many of us. :)
One of the founders of GUE (a not-for-profit agency) is the President of Halcyon. Halcyon was essentially created to fulfill the early equipment compliance needs of DIR/GUE.

You won't go wrong with the Eclipse, although a specific brand is not required to take any GUE course. As long as the equipment requirements are met, the brand doesn't matter.

One thing that's not necessary is the Halcyon Infinity, which is the Eclipse plus bells and whistles. It was made to appeal to those wanting the padding of a jacket with a compliant bp/wing. I had the Infinity for 3 years before I ever took Fundies, and by the time I did, it was basically stripped down to just an Eclipse. All the parts are modular anyway - they can be added or removed as your needs grow. If you get them cheaper as an Infinity package deal, of course go for it, but all you need are the bp, wing, harness, STA, and the weighted STA insert (if you want). Infinity has removable integrated weight pockets if they work for you, but most instructors would probably like to see your weight elsewhere. My GUE instructor didn't like the pockets for me and preferred trim weights for me, but some instructors are ok with them. YMMV.

Generally "higher stress levels" with managing buoyancy would contribute to higher consumption.

When teaching OW, I regularly am significantly over weighted - I have extra to pass across (I like my student near to their ideal weight), I keep enough so that if one has an uncontrolled ascent I can dump my air and bring them down, and generally I make do with what ever lead bricks are left (normally the largest)

I see no difference in my consumption - however when teaching it's higher than normal because I'm always on the alert. The only difference is that I need to concentrate more on managing my bubble in the shallow segments.

When fun diving I prefer to be slightly over. I would rather have a little air in my wing at the end, and chill out, than having zero air and concentrating more on the stop. Also I like some weight in hand, so if I were to be "managing a situation" with higher breathing rates and thus buoyancy I'm not compounding the situation by being a bit light. But that;'s my personal preference

Three extra pounds is going to cause "higher stress levels" for a divemaster as described in wet4's post?
I think concerns with being slightly over weighted is way overblown. I've seen more "higher stress levels" in divers unable to reach depth or maintain a safety stop.

I think the main problem is divers who have never been taught to deal properly with whatever weight they are carrying.

Three extra pounds is going to cause "higher stress levels" for a divemaster as described in wet4's post?
I think concerns with being slightly over weighted is way overblown. I've seen more "higher stress levels" in divers unable to reach depth or maintain a safety stop.

I think the main problem is divers who have never been taught to deal properly with whatever weight they are carrying.
I don't think it was higher stress levels for the DM. Not sure what it was. Now I kind of regret sharing that data point, as it was incomplete. What was the difference in pressure? Was that dive just longer than normal and that the cause of difference in remaining gas?

I see overweighting to be the biggest issue with new divers and controlling their depth.

Back
Top Bottom