How to add metric units to an imperial SPG?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DragonFruitLady

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
We finally decided to buy our own dive gear for our big trip to Indonesia. Our SPGs were back ordered and finally arrived yesterday.. and the gauge only shows psi, not bar.

All the diving we have ever done and are likely to do is in countries that use metric units. I'm really worried about being able to do math underwater to communicate my remaining air to my buddy and guide. We're leaving on Tuesday and do not have time to exchange the SPGs.

Has anyone figured out a way to write psi units on the face of an SPG? Puff paint, permanent marker, stickers, or something else? I'm having a bit of a freak-out about this and would really appreciate any ideas!

if you have a slate or some other writing device, just write rough conversions on there for important pressures.
3000-200
2200-150
2000-140
1500-100
1000-70
700-50

No need to worry about anything in between those intervals.

Now, that all said. If you can straight up return the SPG's. Call Cave Adventurers like now. Tell them I sent you over there, then tell them your story. They can get you bar SPG's by Monday. I don't know if they have all sizes in stock or if you had any special requests which is why they were backordered, but I know they have some bar units in stock and can get them out the door today.

you could probably print out a chart from the internet and have it laminated like a hard card type and put it on a clip or bolt snap and just clip to yer BC

wait,, looks like tbone got you covered

What I've done in the past is put a green mark (usually with a sharpie) on the frame of the gauge, on what is supposed to be FULL for the tanks I'm using. And then another mark (red if available) on my lowest limit, be it 500 psi or whatever you decided is your limit.
With those limits clearly marked you can think of gas available in fractions instead of units. Shouldn't take more than a dive or 2 to not freak out.

Do you have a label maker, like a p-touch? Just print a couple of labels with the basic conversions tbone provided and paste to the back of the spg.

No need to freak out. Most DMs are used to dealing with metrically challenged Americans anyway and if you have to think about it for a while, that's fine too.

I'm all in favor of being able to clearly communicate with the team, but realistically most times, they just want to know when you're at half a tank and when you hit your "time to go up" pressure. Having a little cheat sheet in case you need more is a good idea.

Do you have a label maker, like a p-touch? Just print a couple of labels with the basic conversions tbone provided and paste to the back of the spg.

No need to freak out. Most DMs are used to dealing with metrically challenged Americans anyway and if you have to think about it for a while, that's fine too.

I'm all in favor of being able to clearly communicate with the team, but realistically most times, they just want to know when you're at half a tank and when you hit your "time to go up" pressure. Having a little cheat sheet in case you need more is a good idea.
This.

I've used p-touch labels on dive gear many times. The labels last a surprisingly long time. I usually get about a year out of a p-touch label on my gear.

Like tbone said, you could order BAR gauges from a responsible shop today and get them delivered on Monday. You might pay extra for overnight shipping, but that's what I'd do in order to have peace of mind on a dive trip.

I have traveled all over the world (most of my time in Indo) and always use psi. I have never had a problem... every guide has understood psi too... Just know import signs like half tank... low on air etc...

Get one of this :
Scuba Supreme 2 gauge console.JPG

Double scale for Tank pressure and depth.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom