Who is going to be leaving the Cozumel airport soon?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Monday is not the heaviest arrival/ departure day. Take a look at the Feb divers list and see if any of them leave today. If not I will try to do it when we leave Saturday.

Double bagged and zipped tied is not an approved tamper proof way of packaging. If bagged using one of the approved TSA bags, you will have no issues in security. Goggle "tamper evident tsa bag" to get an idea.
These were the approved bags. The tequila I bought comes with a box. She put the bottle into a bag, peeled the adhesive and sealed it, then put into the box, then put the whole box into yet another TSA approved bag, sealed it with the adhesive strip, then put a zip tie on it. Once I got to DFW they told me it didn't matter how it was packaged (two different people at two different points going back through customs and security), if I didn't move it to my checked bag, it would be staying in Texas.

Maybe ATL is better about it than DFW, but just like the battery conversation we had last summer, it doesn't matter what the official rules are, it only matters what the person with all the power to confiscate it from you thinks the official rules are.

I am surprised that such a simple request is going so unfulfilled.

In fairness, there are so many signs - sign pollution, as I recall, in the duty free shop (of course I could be confusing it with other duty free shops in airports elsewhere) that unless you are specifically looking for a sign with specific info or it stands out in some way, it could easily be missed (especially if it has been moved.) With so much on one's mind on a travel day, looking for a sign and in my case, pulling out a phone that I wouldn't have on in normal circumstances to take a picture, would not the first thing on my mind.

On the other hand, I might take it as a challenge, but only if I remembered that morning before going to the airport!

This not specific to Cozumel

Grand Cayman is the same. They pack it nice and neat in tamper-evident bags and are then wishy-washy when you ask if you can keep it in carry-on all the way to your home. But as has been indicated, you're only good to the point of entry before you have to switch it over to checked luggage. I will sometimes carry a couple of bubble wrap sleeves as I know some alcohol is cheaper than in the duty free shops. Sometimes my wetsuit does the trick.

Back to Don - hope you get a response. I've seen and had my own simple requests on SB only to see them unanswered.

When the new TSA rule came to be in 2014, it did appear that bottles purchased at Duty free shops would be allowed to be transported as "extra" carryon items upon arrival to the US port of entry and on to the final destination without having to be put into checked luggage...HOWEVER...this is not how the TSA sees it. Plan on putting any Duty Free bottles in your checked luggage upon arrival to the US port of entry prior to your connecting flight.

121.00 for the Don Julio 1942.

20190223_115212.jpg

FINALLY! Thanks.

I had to look up ICAO, LAG, and STEP to see what those mean. "The International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) is a UN specialized agency, established by States in 1944 to manage the administration and governance of the Convention on International Civil Aviation (Chicago Convention)." Liquids, aerosols and gels (LAGs) and Security Tamper-evident Bags (STEBs).

I understand that TSA agents often ignore this tho, and since there is nothing from TSA, I see the problem.

I asked an agent in Chicago and they said it must be placed in the checked bag or you wouldnt get back thru security.

I asked an agent in Chicago and they said it must be placed in the checked bag or you wouldnt get back thru security.
But the salesman said….......

They may both be correct, if you did not exit security you could probably be OK. If you exit security then standard security procedures kick in.
In most Candian airports US customs and immigration screen prior to departure and then duty free is on the secure side. If you purchase it there you should be able to stay within security to your final destination including susequent transfers.
Inbound flights from Mexico and most other countries do not have on site US personnel stationed at the departing airport so upon entry to the US you have to clear customs and this requires having access to your checked bags. For this reason you must go back thru security if you need to board another flight and then the more than 3 OZ liquid rule kicks in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom