Lake Travis fatality - Texas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Colonoscopy Advocate
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Very little information in the news article. Perhaps local members can add what they know or heard?

Lake Travis diver pronounced dead despite rescue efforts
AUSTIN (KXAN) — Thursday afternoon, the Austin-Travis County EMS tweeted that the diver responders tried rescuing from Lake Travis was pronounced dead at the scene.

Rescue assets reported to 700 Hurst Creek Road and began the search around 1:13 p.m., at which time the driver had not resurfaced. About 20 minutes later, ATCEMS reported that the diver was out of the water and CPR was in progress.

At the time, STARFlight was responding.

Around 2:15 p.m. ATCEMS tweeted that the diver had been declared deceased.

Condolences for sure.

Reports say man failed to resurface after diving to work on a dock.

Heard several rumors on the cause. Out of air, diving between 10 and 70 feet. Also heard a boat near by spotted him and dragged him to shore to initiate CPR.

From the associated press.

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) - Authorities say a 38-year-old man has died while doing some repair work as a diver in a Central Texas lake.

The Travis County Sheriff’s Office on Friday identified the diver as Sebastian Medina-Page, from Round Rock.

Investigators say Medina-Page, a project manager and a diver, had been working underwater to repair a broken pump for a private home when he didn’t come back to the surface in the Hurst Creek Arm area of Lake Travis on Thursday afternoon.

His body was found and CPR was performed on him, but he was pronounced dead at the scene, which is located northwest of Austin.

The sheriff’s office says it’s investigating what led to Medina-Page’s death, but a preliminary review shows that the line he had been tethered to had been significantly tangled.

I'm afraid to lose my cutting knife when I need it. That's why I tether my knife to its holster on my BCD.

I lost the knife during a dive. Fortunately one of my dive buddies found it on a sandy bottom as the shiny blade reflecting the sun light. Since then, I tether its handle on to its holster to make sure I won't lose it again.

image.jpeg

Condolences for sure.
His son is one of my son's classmate and closest friends . Sebastian was a wonderful, kind, loving father to his only son. He was a great person all around. And yes. They tried for over 30 minutes to administer CPR but ultimately he didn't make it. May he rest in peace.

I'm afraid to lose my cutting knife when I need it. That's why I tether my knife to its holster on my BCD.

I lost the knife during a dive. Fortunately one of my dive buddies found it on a sandy bottom as the shiny blade reflecting the sun light. Since then, I tether its handle on to its holster to make sure I won't lose it again.

View attachment 506661

What is the point of this post in this thread?

What is the point of this post in this thread?

Likely a reference to the below quote being possibly related to not having a cutting tool to deal with the situation:

“...a preliminary review shows that the line he had been tethered to had been significantly tangled.”

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom