Anchor plans ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Externet

Contributor
Reaction score
Surprised I did not find plans to make a Sandford/Fortress style anchor for sandy bottom.
$hipping one overseas would be like sending an... anchor !
With plenty of welders and metal leftovers overseas, would like to send drawings to my nephew. Do you know of a website to find such ?

Closest I could find was for a Danforth, looks like it's older steel cousin to a fortress. The first link has the diagram and the second are the dimentions for the various sizes. As far as I can see, the Fortress is a lightweight aluminum version of the Danforth.

Awesome Collection Of Danforth Anchor Size Chart Great Azure Marine Blue Star Brand Anchor | Geotecsolar.com

Ideas Collection Danforth Anchor Size Chart Fabulous Delta Anchor Proportions Dimensions | Geotecsolar.com

I may have a small Fortress in my anchor pile, I'll check tomorrow, but if it is the one I remember it's quite small, and I don't know if the measurements will help you.

Good luck on your quest.

Bob

Thanks.
Unable to find the corresponding chart for the drawing dimensions ABCDE for different weights/boat sizes at the first link :(

The second link has the dimensions, you have to look around a bit, not user friendly. Sorry about the mixup.

I checked on the baby anchor and it was a Danforth, maybe 5#. I did run across a 50#, or in that range, Danforth if that is more the size you are looking for, I could take pictures and measurements. It's a brute, and I wouldn't want to pull it by hand.

Bob

It's a brute, and I wouldn't want to pull it by hand.

Rereading this, I had a flashback and a chuckle. I can't help myself, I have to share.

Years ago I found it on the bottom in 50 feet, or so, of water off the NorCal coast. With my BC full I had to kick like hell with both hands holding the anchor to break the surface, where I found my friend in the inflatable looking the other way. I couldn't keep my head out of the water long, and if I used a hand to put the reg back in my mouth I'd lose the anchor, so I dropped back down a few feet and tried again. On the third try I knew I couldn't hold it any longer so I spit out the reg and yelled for him to grab the anchor. He was startled, but was listening, we got it aboard, having him put it on a seat figuring it would go through the bottom.

So I did pull it by hand, and it was a brute. The comment was not conjecture as I thought when typing.

Not only would I say don't try this at home, I'd never try it again and now usually carry a lift bag and some rope, just in case. And if one does, make sure the man in the boat has a head on his shoulders.

Another day under the ocean.

Bob

Wonderful ! , thanks for your total assistance !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom