How to add metric units to an imperial SPG?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just keep it simple with basic math/amounts...

Full 200 (3000)
half full 100 (1500)
quarter full 50 (750)
oh crap 0 (0)

Well I was going to simplify this even further... If the needle is way over to the right, you're good. If it's on the pin on the left, you need a fill.

Anywhere else in between is somewhere between awesome and time to come up.

SPGs are not know to be super accurate anyway, so use it as a guide. We Canadians of a certain age flip back and forth between metric and imperial units mid-sentence. One of my friends was just joking about this the other day looking at some of her log notes:

"We walked about 500 metres to the ramp. It was about 25° so pretty warm in the drysuit. Once we got in the water, we dropped to 70' and the water was about 50° which was perfect."

You'll be fine. Just avoid pinning it.

Thanks for all the input. It helped me think clearly and order a set of metric SPG's by next day air.

If we ever go diving in the US, I'll try the label or sharpie options for full, half, and time to ascend levels.

LOL at the Canadian bilingualism.

On one reg set I have an imperial suunto spg. the bezel is gray so I took a thin tip sharpie and made tick marks to indicate bar.

I would recommend marking 200, 150, 100, and 50 bar....I tried initially to do every ten bar and it got cluttered and later found it to be unnecessary.

-Z

I like the "fuel gauge" analogy.. F, 3/4, 1/2, 1/4, CRAP!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom