Peeing in the suit has been discussed forever - now the old diver perspective

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RStyle

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I know this has been discussed ad nauseam. BUT now that I am older.. it is a new and different story.
Been diving since 1985 and in general I tried to never pee in my suit. BUT..now I am 66yrs old and diagnosed with an enlarged prostate, NOT peeing in the suit (or at night) sometimes more than once during a dive is impossible. Not drinking prior to diving is not an option. For those that have not lived with it........(they know it is enlarged from the dreaded rectal exam) then you go to the MD office when you are very full and desperate to pee.
They do an ultrasound showing a full bladder. You pee in a container that measures flow velocity until you are completely done. He asks 3 times "are you sure you are done". Yes, yes and yes. They scan your bladder again and the sonogram show it is still half full!!!!. How can it be???). So every time you pee you only empty 3/4 or 1/2 your bladder.

My question:
You are in a small dive boat and do two dives in which you have to pee a once or twice, maybe on each dive, in the suit. You get back to the live aboard or resort to take the stuff off until the afternoon dives. The smell of urine is obvious. They have rinse tanks with water for everyone (urine is sterile ) so you wash your suit and your skin too and hang to dry but it still smells strongly like urine. Is there anything you can do? Spray it with vinegar or MareZyne.
Most articles are about soaking it for hours or overnight in various different agents but my question is when you are done at noon or in the afternoon and are going to use it in a few hours and every day for 5-7 days

I have a Sharkskin for warm water that is great because it has a front zipper that opens from above and from below. When I use it I just open the lower zipper a foot or so and go.
Not sure why manufacturers do not make suits ( for men and for women) with a crotch zipper. Or now that in addition to big prostates, some have bad shoulders and zipping in the back is a hassle, why not in one piece 3-7mm's suits with a front zipper. Even if you at least want to flush your suit when you are about to get on the boat, you have to get on the boat to take tank off then try to find the thing to pull zipper down in your back, have trouble getting zipper all the way down....start peeing again as you are getting back to the ladder......uuughh!

Even thought about trying to find a place that would put a crotch zipper on my suit. Would look funny but....

I've seen descriptions of people adding a drysuit style pee valve to their wet suit.

Personally, I don't worry about pee in the wetsuit. It's supposed to be there. If it smells really bad maybe you could deal with that by drinking more water or changing what you drink in some other way?

I use this stuff to clean my wetsuits: https://www.amazon.com/JAWS-Slosh-Wetsuit-Shampoo-oz/dp/B000GHZMK0 All the diveshops in my town sell it fairly cheap. I've never soaked a wetsuit or saw any reason to do anything other than rinse with water that has a little slosh in it.

Many wetsuits have a front zipper, and some have two zippers that can come up from the bottom. That would allow you to free willy underwater if you were so inclined.

Personally, I just don't worry about it. Wetsuits are supposed to have pee in them imo. Honestly I'm surprised to hear there is anyone so adamant about not peeing in their suit. I always assume folks who say they don't are just lying. Judging by your post, I don't think you are - so you just blew my mind.

Another option is adding a pee-valve like you'd have on a drysuit. Putting on condom catheters isn't super fun (actually it's taking them off that's not fun). But it does solve the problem completely. I have this one on my drysuit: Pee Valve - Dump/Pee Valves - Products - SI-TECH I think it was about $200 but I might be mis-remembering on the price.

Edit: here it is from a trustworthy store for $150 Si Tech Mini Urine Valve Combo I've had many good experiences buying from these guys.

I have a "sensitive" bladder. My whole life--not an age issue. I take medication-Oxybutenyn. I run a hose down one leg and out the wetsuit pants bottom. This allows freer outflow, especially when on land. I would think being at depth hampers it some due to the pressure, but think it still at least somewhat works. The hose must be just right--size-wise and flexibility. Too thick a hose and too much cold water flows in. Too rigid a hose and it hampers kicking. Too flexible a hose and not enough flow between suit pants and leg. Then when rinsing, I use baby shampoo on the areas affected. No smell afterwords that I can detect. You can "attach" the hose with waterproof tape, but that only works 60% of the time and I won't describe the mess created the other 40% of the time...….
With a thick wetsuit in cold water it will probably be impossible to unzip anything (farmer john for sure) and definitely something you don't want to do to let cold water flow in.
I ditch the hose when in warmer water using my shorty and unzip my body suit in the tropics.
My hose method allows me to hydrate all I want, which is good due to my being prone to cramps.
My only fear hasn't happened yet in my 14 years--a farmer john Warhammer.

I recently learned about a relatively new treatment procedure approved my Medicare called Rezūm. It is more effective when done earlier than later. Basically the back-pressure resulting from an enlarged prostate causes the bladder to thicken over time. Reducing the restriction doesn't help much if your bladder is shot. The above link explains it and there are a number of videos on YouTube.

I plan to get it done later this year.

I second the pee valve - I hate peeing in my wetsuit but I love diving.

I
I second the pee valve - I hate peeing in my wetsuit but I love diving.
I've thought of that-- somewhat expensive, no?

Been diving since mid-80's, probably close to 1,000 dives of which over 90% have been in a wetsuit, peed on every dive, maybe couple of times; never have understood the issue. Own my own wetsuit, always have, can't recall ever experiencing an odor.

A radical prostatectomy has left me somewhat incontinent. Switching to a drysuit and using an adult incontinence pad solved the problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom