For those who carry Solo-diver certification card?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My local quarry (Millbrook) allows solo diving with an SDI Solo card, but not a PADI Self-Reliant card. Not sure why, since the management teaches both PADI and SDI... I never have asked but I guess it's something to do with their insurance company and the actual verbiage of each regarding what it says the diver is certified for/to do.

It seems like I've seen a few posts here on SB from other people who have reported the same disparity at other places. OTOH, I have never hard of anywhere that allows solo diving on a PADI card but not an SDI card.... So, if you're thinking of getting it, that might be a reason to specifically go for the SDI Solo instead of the PADI Self-Reliant.

Hi Stuart,

I "felt" that a lot of the push-back regarding the Self-Reliant cert came from PADI instructors and dive ops.

I had PADI instructors tell me the cert I was using to fill-in the release did not exist. That is a problem.

The verbiage is the same for all three courses. There are synonyms used, but the meaning is the same.

The issue seems to be fading away. Usually, dogmatic people need to be flushed from an industry or avocation before things change. Maybe that is happening.

Solo on,
markm

So far I needed to show my solo card at:

Haigh Quarry, IL
I am inder the impression they want to see the solo card & the self reliant card won't do (for their insurance?) and they did ask the first time if I have all the redundancies.

At the office of Rainbow Reef on Key Largo. At the RR office they (March 2018) did not guarantee you'll dive solo, they l, if you have the card, leave that up to the boat captain & how he judges you under the conditions at hand. Worked for me the few times my wife was taking a rest. Not entirely sure if I needed to bring the card onto the boat, I was not asked for it on the boat, maybe the office put a "solo" remark on the roster... I did not ask. But I did get inteviewed a little by the Captain...

-Once on a boat in the keys
-Jules in Key Largo
-One of our local quarries.

I don't carry one, but I rarely dive in places with liability concerns.
could you elaborate please? I think there are liability concerns in every single dive shop, except if you beach dive with your own tanks and compressor.

could you elaborate please? I think there are liability concerns in every single dive shop, except if you beach dive with your own tanks and compressor.
Some countries aren’t as likely to support a foreign lawsuit. You’d have to be pretty high powered as a Canadian Citizen to successfully bring a liability lawsuit in Mexico.

Got SDI Solo. At Pennyroyal Scuba Blue Springs Resort in southwestern KY, solo diving required a solo cert. (I don't know about PADI Self-reliant; you'd have to ask) and submitting a written dive plan at the front office. I didn't dive there this year, so unless something's changed... I imagine they expect you to be equipped with a redundant air source. Their website has the solo liability form.

At Sweet Bottom Dive Center at Davis Bay in St. Croix, I needed the card to rent a tank and do a shore dive there. N2TheBlue didn't care, and while I showed the card at Cane Bay Scuba I doubt they did either.

I will say Sweet Bottom had about the best customer service I have ever seen in a dive op. A one time anecdotal encounter, but top notch none-the-less.

Years ago when I wanted to rent a pony bottle at Buddy Dive Resort in Bonaire, I showed the card. I tend to show it when I think it might be desired, to smooth things along.

Richard.

I have a solo card I have never shown to anyone. I got it as being an instructor I am often effectively diving alone and valued the extra training.

There is an inland site that would want to see it if I got in without another person, but I am quite unlikely to do that.

On the other hand I am often on UK boats where people get in alone. Some actively don’t want buddies, some just don’t have one that day and would rather dive alone than in a group of three. It might be that these are always proper adults, and the skippers are proper adults and can tell by looking whether someone is up to the task, whatever I have never seen anyone asked for a card or been asked for a card.

Have one (ANDI) and pretty much use it as my only card. It also certifies me for multiple gases so no need to carry a Nitrox card. Have only ever had one operator question it - Egyptian boat wanted to see my Rescue card not sure why and he couldn’t give me a reason???

Lots of places won’t allow solo, card or not. Usually end up same ocean buddy at those places.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom