Vaccinations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DougieG

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello all,

Any particular vaccinations that visitors may get in preparation for a trip to Cozumel?

The biggest one of concern is expatitis. That's where you go to Cozumel on vacation for a week and realize how much better it would be to just live there all the time and become an "ex-pat". It can be cured in your retirement years but when you are still working and raising kids it can be excruciatingly painful.

Not specific to it. Since I like traveling to the Caribbean region, I contacted my local health department and got the Hepatitis A vaccination - 2 shots separated by 6 months. Not a bad thing to begin with (I believe our daughter had to have it to start Kindergarten in KY).

Are you current on tetanus? Moving tanks around and such, it's not hard to tear some skin. Did that on a pontoon boat on Dale Hollow Lake years ago, so again, not Coz.-specific, but also not a bad idea.

Richard.

Hep A and Tetanus are good ones to keep current.....unless you are always in clean environments and never "stab" yourself with anything.

I become inflamed every time I visit Cozumel also...too many good restaurants! Then again, it may be my addiction to Peanut Butter Tequila from Ohana :wink:

I just get my annual flu vaccine...nothing to do with Cozumel, per se. My doc has suggested I might want to consider Hepatitis A but I don't see much cause for that. A greater fear is dengue, IMO.

Health Information for Travelers to Mexico - Traveler view | Travelers' Health | CDC

Here are the CDC recommendations for Mexico.

You can get Hepatitis A/B from a salad bar in the US so you should have those anyway.

Typhoid is an oral vaccine you take over a few days. You get a prescription and pick up from pharmacy.

If you do a lot of world travel you might consider asking for a Z pack which is three day antibiotic for travellers diarrhea. Before I start a flame war you will very likely not need this in Cozumel. But in the event you do, you have it. And if you travel elsewhere, you have it.

Typhoid is also a good one to have in general. I believe it's oral and is good for two years. Depending on your age, you may be a candidate for an adult MMR booster - check with your doctor. I believe that one is an injection.

Some friends feel it's important to start a course of anti-malarials, but that's oral, once per day, starting a week before traveling and continuing until two weeks after your return. I prefer a suitable application of DEET, as avoiding mosquito bites avoids not only malaria, but Dengue and Zika as well.

Back
Top Bottom