Use of an Octo as a secondary and best Apeks first stages for twinset?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well I am hoping to fully assemble a twin rig. Not neccessarily making single cylinder diving a priority at the moment.

As for deco regs, do they specifically need to be those Nitrox ready ones with all the green or can I settle for something simpler?
as I have seen people tend not to purchase the green Nitrox models unless required by law... it is more of a hassle to change different M26 tank valves to all the tanks and have different dedicated hoses and everything.
the "nitrox reg" may also not be oxygen clean after you use it for a while so if not specifically needing a green one just for the nice color and if not required by the law in your country to have M26 regulator and valve on deco bottle I would just get a normal regulator 02 cleaned and use that instead. make sure the tank and valve are oxygen cleaned as well before putting 100% into it:D

I would likely not get a second xtx 200 given other Apeks first stages are less expensive and just as good (if not better in terms of size and hose routing). Ask yourself how many first stages you anticipate having in two to five years. If you’ll want a double set, single first stage, or a first stage for a deco/stage bottle, you’re in the market for multiple first stages over this period. With this in mind, I might consider the xtx 200 the first stage for my single rig (or deco bottle) and get a nice matching set for doubles like the DST or the DB4.

To get where you are going (let’s say doubles to start), I’d get one DB4 first stage (or for a few dollars more the DST), and run with the xtx 200. (Running these two different first stages poses no problem in terms of function—only aesthetically). When you have additional funds, I’d then get a second DB4 (or DST) and retire the xtx 200 to a single rig or to the deco bottle. If you needed a 4th first stage, I’d say this could be dedicated to you deco/stage bottle and would get one of the smaller Apeks first stages (DB4 or other type) and move the xtx 200 to the single rig.

In tec diving, you’ll be using a long hose, which is the reg you will be donating. The other reg will be bungied around your neck. You could always use the yellow reg on the long hose given it will be donated.

I believe, you can get a new (black) face plate to replace the yellow plate, although part of the main body will still be yellow.

Last year I had bought a full Apeks XTX 200 set which comes with the FSR first stage, XTX 200 second stage and the XTX 50 octo.

Since I recently started journeying into tech, I am going to need to reconfigure my set. So my first question is: what are the thoughts in general of using an Octo as a secondary when diving twins? Apart from the very 'in your face' yellow colour, are there any discernible differences between the octo and a standard regulator? Obviously I will eventually get another second stage but in the mean time, would an octo do just fine?

Onto my second question. From the Apeks range of first stages, which do divers prefer to set up their twins with? I already have one FSR first stage but I am curious if for my second, if I should simply buy another FSR with the 5th port enabled (which is the most expensive first stage), or rather go for a DS4/DST/UST etc?

Although having different first stages and an octo for a secondary might look a bit messy and not necessarily be the best setup, can it work?

Just seen an Apex Tek 3 set with less than 20 dives pop up on classifieds. I love mine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom