HP100s

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Followed up on the Key Largo tanks, looks like they got sold fast. No 100's to speak of there anymore. Thanks for the tip though.
I just spoke to the owner. There are 10 or so. I got the wrong answer first from someone who doesn't know what the hell they are talking about.

I have a set of bands and a manifold if you need them. Came off of my Worthington 100's.

lol we must have spoke with the same guy, because he said he had to check (owner would know) guy on phone said all they have are 75cu tanks.

What's the owners name, I'll call back

@Slym the difference between the two is night and day. The only thing they have in common is nominal capacity. Fabers are taller, lighter, bigger capacity, but much less buoyant. The worthingtons are like 2.5lbs more negative each. You can tell a difference in the two quite easily. good luck on the hunt!
I think you meant to say Fabers are more buoyant, not less.

lol we must have spoke with the same guy, because he said he had to check (owner would know) guy on phone said all they have are 75cu tanks.

What's the owners name, I'll call back
Rob Bleser, but it's rare to get him. I call his cell phone. Just ask for the steel 100s in the back. Don't hang up until you get someone who knows what they are talking about. If you want to really talk to someone who knows what they are on about, ask for Lalo (pronounced Lah-loh). He is their hydro tech, and knows every cylinder in the place.

Rob Bleser, but it's rare to get him. I call his cell phone. Just ask for the steel 100s in the back. Don't hang up until you get someone who knows what they are talking about. If you want to really talk to someone who knows what they are on about, ask for Lalo (pronounced Lah-loh). He is their hydro tech, and knows every cylinder in the place.

Roger that! Thanks man!

Have you considered LP85s? Filled to 3600 psi you get 112 cu ft of gas. They are similar size to HP100 but less negative. Most of the cave divers I know dive LP steels, not HP. Just a suggestion

I have consitered that, my worry always is a tank failing hydro. I know that you can overfill 10% but I also hear cave country is great for superfills. And really I don't know enough about metal and tanks/pressure to want to think of what issues down the road that could cause my tank.

I was on the cusp about a year ago on buying some great lp95 but changed my mind and got 130's instead. Still need to pair them but got them for a good price.

In cave country they are routinely filling LP tanks to 3600 or higher. In other areas, probably not. If you are going to be mostly diving in Florida caves you should consider it. There are a number of threads on SB discussing the LP vs HP issue. You will learn more about metallurgy than you probably want to know.

I think you meant to say Fabers are more buoyant, not less.

thanks, was a wild weekend cave diving.

@Slym if the cave country tanks that are basically hydro'd every day for 20-30 years haven't failed, you'll be fine. Now if you don't have the ability to get cave fills, then HP tanks are the way to go because LP tanks at working pressure are horribly inefficient.
Think about the buoyancy characteristics quite hard though since the Worthington 100's are about -3.3 empty

I recommend diving the cylinders in NFL everyone else prefers, there's usually a good reason for regional preferences. You can rent faber lp85 doubles or SM tanks for your class super easy. They are less negative yes, but you are also not going to be wearing the same undergarments you use up north. And the longer tanks trim out better. And they hold more gas.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom