Question about hose configuration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BlueTrin

Scallops aficionado
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
this website says that he chose to put the octo on the left side:

DIR-diver.com - Reg configuration doubles

But does that mean that the octo will be upside down when facing you ?

Or can they be dismantled to put the hose opening on the opposite side ?

On doubles regs, the secondary (octo) comes off the left post (valve) and crosses behind your back, with the hose on the right side of your neck. So the secondary (octo) is right side up.

See the hose coming out of the bottom of the left first stage (on the right in the pic)? That’s the secondary.

Note for those who ask: I’m still tweaking transmitter placement.
81F4F53E-9DDE-44FB-909D-19C03629451A.jpeg

Thanks nice harness :)

At our LDS the octos are always routed on the left. This means the second stage is 'presented' the right way up. I know this goes against convention but it works .

On doubles regs, the secondary (octo) comes off the left post (valve) and crosses behind your back, with the hose on the right side of your neck. So the secondary (octo) is right side up.

See the hose coming out of the bottom of the left first stage (on the right in the pic)? That’s the secondary.

View attachment 506713

Nice rig!

At our LDS the octos are always routed on the left. This means the second stage is 'presented' the right way up. I know this goes against convention but it works .

For a second diver, but is no bueno for the donor...

View attachment 506713

I have that style of reg on my doubles. I turn the 1st stages to be almost horizontal. That has the transmitter pointing almost straight down, and, thus, well protected and unlikely to be grabbed by accident during a valve shutdown.

Diving in the U.K. you’ll see most have it on the left whether diving doubles or singles.

In that configuration the regulator on the left post is routed behind the diver and comes from the right and is used as a short backup.

If it came over the left shoulder and used a left hand regulator (some regulators, including Apeks XTX, can be reversed) then it would trap the hog looped primary when deployed.

In normal, ie not hog looped long hose, configurations the octopus can go either side. The advantage of having it on the left is that it is the right way up, without wild bending, for the OOG diver. The advantage of having it on the right is that it is the right way up for the donating diver.

The long hose configuration stuff you will be taught properly on your fundies course. It is a different system to the one you have been taught so far and relies on different skills and expectations on the part of all those involved. Particularly you might want to,ask John how exactly you should brief a buddy unfamiliar with your configuration.

Back
Top Bottom