DSS Small Size plate or similar (for kid)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Aloha -
My son is getting certified - he's about 56" tall and growing like crazy. I'd like him to have a great experience, and it seems like a minimal, streamlined BP/W would likely be the best starter set of gear.

I am a long time DSS owner, and I love that gear, and so I naturally thought of getting a set for my son, but was bummed to see that Tobin is (hopefully temporarily?) not selling any gear. So, a few questions:
  1. Does anyone still have any DSS gear in stock, especially a small plate and smaller lift wing?
  2. Does anyone else make plates for smaller folks?
  3. Does anyone have any experience with someone in my son's height range "growing into" a medium size plate? I'm naturally tempted to get him a plate that will last him for a lot longer time.
Appreciate any help or experience. Cheers -
Gregg

Halcyon makes a short plate. I’m 5’5” and it’s been a game changer. The stainless steel short plate is $225, but for me, it was worth every penny. Once son outgrows it, I’d say you’d likely have a pretty easy time selling it, if you wanted. I can’t remember seeing a used one for sale.

Thanks for the recommendation, Marie.

So, it seems that DSS is well and truly gone, at least for now, so I am struggling with what I should get for my son. The VDH equipment looks nice, but the site has no plates or 18# wings in stock, and I can't manage to get them on the phone.

I'm also curious whether something like the Oxycheq Ultralight travel plate or the Apeks travel plate might be a good idea, and if so, what wing would be good to pair those with? I have not ever cobbled together BP/Wing setups from different manufacturers, so I don't know the considerations in terms of things fitting together. The DSS gear all "just worked".

Another question, I have seen some posts from people who had success with 11 year olds in regular (medium) size backplates. So, how much do I need to worry about backplate size for a little guy?

Finally, I have a stainless plate from my cold water days. Is stainless the way to go, or should I get aluminium (or I suppose carbon fiber is an option too).

Starting to get a bit lost as to best approach for the kiddo. Any advice or experience outfitting a kid would be appreciated.

Good choice to get your kid into a BP&W. I put mine into a Dive Rite which has some expansion options. Good luck with your customisation efforts; well worth the trouble!
Best wishes
GJS

Does anyone still have any DSS gear in stock, especially a small plate and smaller lift wing?

Try calling or emailing John @ Northeast Scuba Supply. He got a bunch of stuff from Tobin before the move, but we've all been sending folks to John as the requests pop up, so his stock in very thin now. There were some oddball plates when I was there a couple weeks ago - sorry, I just don't remember if there were any smalls and I wasn't looking at wings ...

I'd look at an OxyCheq "ULTP" or a OxyCheq "Dog Bone" plate, and a perhaps something like a 23# HOG wing (the dog bone and HOG 23# was my travel rig when I was travel diving single hose regulators). See what NESS has available....

I'd say go OxyCheq on the wings as they are really good, but the price is absurd at $400.

My first choice is still VDH. If you drop Bryan an email ( Bryan@vintagedoublehose.com ), he is likely to get to you. Calls are not a high probability as VDH is not his primary job. The "vintage" plate is also an option. It isn't just for DH regs...

The Deep6 wing is nice (daughter has a 20 & 30 with a DSS plate), but they seem "big"...

I am tinkering with the ULTP now......

VDH has the 23# wing in stock according to the web store. That and the Dog Bone would be nice for a warm water rig!

Soft travel plate? Then torso length not really an issue.

Bunch of economical choices on NESS

I was searching for a small plate for my girlfriend and it basically came down to Oxycheq and Halcyon.

Both are going to get you there.

If you are mainly diving salt then go with SS. As Tobin told when I was getting started...it's not that much more weight to pack and it's perfectly positioned for trim.

Back
Top Bottom