Apeks or Aqualung Regulator?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the feedback.
I am also not convinced about an over-balanced first stage. I rarely go below 30 metres and I understand it is at greater depths that over balancing is beneficial. Over-balanced regs mean you use air quicker and I use air up quickly enough at depth already! I would be interested to hear from anyone who has measured the difference between dive times using balanced and over-balanced regs.

overbalancing doesn't really increase your air consumption. who told you that?

if you go really deep (iirc over 100m), overbalancing is a liability and will cause your regs to freeflow.

if you go really deep (iirc over 100m), overbalancing is a liability and will cause your regs to freeflow.
That should not be the case with balanced 2nd stages.

The guy in the dive shop said it increases your air flow, which means you’re inclined to take in more air with each breath.

Although I guess the balanced second stage counter balances this?

Apeks and buy two the same (e.g. two XTX50s). Some bundles have a high end primary and then a lesser grade for the octopus. In a situation where your buddy is using your octopus, you want a high performance octopus delivering air in that high stress situation. I have two sets of Apeks and you cannot go wrong with this brand.
GJS

Apeks and buy two the same (e.g. two XTX50s). Some bundles have a high end primary and then a lesser grade for the octopus. In a situation where your buddy is using your octopus, you want a high performance octopus delivering air in that high stress situation. I have two sets of Apeks and you cannot go wrong with this brand.
GJS

That is not a problem for Apeks regs. All seconds are nearly identical. The difference between the 40s and all others is the possibility to adjust the breathing resistance via an external knop underwater. All other differences are just cosmetics.

The guy in the dive shop said it increases your air flow, which means you’re inclined to take in more air with each breath.

Although I guess the balanced second stage counter balances this?

Not enough to make a measurable difference. Let me guess, he wanted to sell you a more expensive scubapro or atomic reg?

That is not a problem for Apeks regs. All seconds are nearly identical. The difference between the 40s and all others is the possibility to adjust the breathing resistance via an external knop underwater. All other differences are just cosmetics.
How so? My first APEKs regulators came bundled with XTX100 and XTX40; my other is XTX50 and XTX40.

I know quite a few divers that use Apeks regs and I have yet to meet anybody that was not happy with them. I am sure the same can be said of other regs it is just that I know more people with Apeks as they are very popular in the cold waters of the Great Lakes where I dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom