HP100s

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wookie you were right, they had some on consignment lol I just got the right guy on the phone. Decent price compared to up here.

Wookie you were right, they had some on consignment lol I just got the right guy on the phone. Decent price compared to up here.

Yep! Not much up here at a reasonable price....

I have consitered that, my worry always is a tank failing hydro. I know that you can overfill 10% but I also hear cave country is great for superfills. And really I don't know enough about metal and tanks/pressure to want to think of what issues down the road that could cause my tank.

I was on the cusp about a year ago on buying some great lp95 but changed my mind and got 130's instead. Still need to pair them but got them for a good price.

Rent some tanks there and get a feel for it. LP 85's are kinda standard issue Florida tanks and after you fly a few you will see why, behind that would be double al80's. I know nothing about cave diving but I love to jam in wrecks and those big 8 inch tanks SUCK. You don't need a buttload of gas at this point. Actually a set of tiny doubles are pretty awesome at this point (twin LP50's pumped up)

After spending 6 months in Key Largo wreck diving I learned that HP100 as double suck (great single rec). 95's suck, 108's were okay in the water, ALLOT gas but a bitch with bulkheads sometimes. My original tech instructor told me get LP85's and HP120 but I thought I knew better. Twenty set of tanks later I have LP'85 and HP120's. I have 4.5 lb tail weight on the 85's and they trim exactly like my 120's I just dive and don't change a thing.

Give your instructor a jingle.

Enjoy

As the OP is from the same neighbourhood as me I recommend HP tanks for a first set of doubles. Getting a decent fill in set of LP tanks in Ontario is not easy. Btw I don't necessarily mean cave fills, even getting shops to fill to +10% can be a problem. LP 85s and 104s are great tanks but you'll find a lot of divers in Ontario use HP tanks for the reason I've outlined above. Your course starts next week, have fun!

In Central NY, getting HP fills almost never happens. And when they do, the LDS do it but when one get the tanks cooled, you are back to lower pressures. So while I'm generalizing, most have either AL80s (I don't) or LP tanks like LP85s.

In Central NY, getting HP fills almost never happens. And when they do, the LDS do it but when one get the tanks cooled, you are back to lower pressures. So while I'm generalizing, most have either AL80s (I don't) or LP tanks like LP85s.
Yeah, getting HP tanks filled to correct pressure can be a problem too. Luckily most of the shops up here will do a proper fill. Best not done while you wait though, it's a good idea to leave the tanks with the shop for a few hours, give them a chance to cool down and have the shop top them up before you leave.

Yeah, getting HP tanks filled to correct pressure can be a problem too. Luckily most of the shops up here will do a proper fill. Best not done while you wait though, it's a good idea to leave the tanks with the shop for a few hours, give them a chance to cool down and have the shop top them up before you leave.

Yes but what do you do when they don't want to have their bank tanks that high? Not much.

I find it best to not be in a hurry...

Agree. There is a lot of huffing and puffing when one walks in with a HP tank. After a few visits, the customer gets the message. They are not interested to filling HP tanks. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom