3D printing...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@The Chairman Tevo just released their new model for 2019. Nereus or something like that. Anyway, it looks like it's gonna be a winner. Better electronics integration, touchscreen, can even print from an app if you want. DC build plate takes longer to heat up, but it's less risky than the AC mains heated bed on the Tornado. I think it's gonna be the next printer I pick up.

So I'll chime in a bit. I own a Creality Ender 3, build plate is a little smaller than the CR-10 (mine is 8.6" x 8.6" x 9.8" or 220mm x 220mm x 250mm). I LOVE it. Was had new for $180. So far printing with PLA and PETG (both Inland brand bought at Microcenter- $15-$20 / kg). PLA is super easy, but PETG is more durable and soooooo much fun to watch "ooze" out of the extruder. I leaned towards the CR-10, but 90% of everything I will ever print the Ender 3 can handle, and it was much cheaper.

I have designed enough things for work to already pay for the printer (yay!!! A hobby that actually pays for itself!!!!).

The Creality Ender 3 just worked out of the box. Level the bed, level the bed, level the bed. As soon as I got the bed leveled prints turn out exactly how they're supposed to. I haven't personally found a need to use rafts, but a skirt goes a long way to make sure everything's purged and the bed is perfect level.

Waiting for parts to have auto bed leveling (which is $15-$20 in parts). Hopefully this will make switching between different types of filaments a little easier

I used Simplify3D for a slicer and raspberry pi 3+ loaded with octoprint which has an old webcam connected to cancel failed prints remotely. (Edit - I use the app "printoid" to login remotely and view / control the printer)

I'm with @JohnnyC ,fusion 360 is AMAZING. Steep learning curve (for me) but I don't have a background in CAD, but well worth it. Being able to design something, print it, install it and see it actually work is probably the closest that I'll ever get to feeling like Neil Armstrong.

I'm not an expert but 3D printing is definitely a thing and it's a thing for the every man. Just take a look...

Dropbox - Finished Prints - Simplify your life

....r and raspberry pi 3+ loaded with octoprint which has an old webcam connected to cancel failed prints remotely. (Edit - I use the app "printoid" to login remotely and view / control the printer

That's SO COOL !! Brilliant!

@kelemvor, Can you get a list of parts from him? Maybe even a schematic? Maybe I'm missing where the specifics are in his post? FWIW, the Canadian plant's last printer had damage to the box and unit, so mine is coming from China and should be here by the 26th.
I've been helping Dan with his Barn and have set up a small run production facility in my shop. I created a crude break and bent 122 hurricane clips for his gambrel roof trusses. I also have cut 124 truss braces and am in the process of making 28 half trusses. I'm about %20 finished with the half trusses.
Turns out, the guy from our hackerspace didn't create it. He just made one using the plans on that page. The parts list is embedded in the description text: Li-Ion Charger

I finally managed to get the peopoly moai printer ordered. I guess I know what I'll be building next weekend.

I wish I could take credit for it.

It's actually pretty common and probably why Octoprint is such a popular addition. You can even start a print if you have a clear bed and the right filament loaded. My RPi with octoprint is just sitting here waiting for my printer, which should be here today! At least it was promised for Feb 26.

Turns out, the guy from our hackerspace didn't create it. He just made one using the plans on that page. The parts list is embedded in the description text: Li-Ion Charger
https://www.amazon.com/ideas/amzn1.account.AEQ7FZOYZZ6TJQYT2IZ3AXGGVB3Q/1ULBQ9R7W6HYS
I plan on using my 12 battery holder with three of these in it:

upload_2019-2-26_5-56-16.png

I finally managed to get the peopoly moai printer ordered. I guess I know what I'll be building next weekend.
What are the advantages of a resin printer? I'm guessing finer detail. What's the cost per print like compared to PETG? I need strong over detail.

The resin is expensive. around 85 bucks a liter/kilo (some brands sell by mass, some by volume). If you've got an LCD based resin printer, they're extremely fast. Well under an hour for almost any print. Better detail, no layer lines at all, parts are usually much stronger than extrusion printers.

Resins run from extremely hard (glass like) to very durable, to flexible and even soft rubber. I think you can get similar filaments for FDM printers but I'm not sure about that.

The one I got uses a laser and mirrors instead of an LCD or DLP projector. That gives it even better resolution than LCD based resins, at the cost of speed. It's slower than LCD/DLP printers. What you give up in speed, you gain in print quality. Parts come out nearly perfect with no sanding. Of course, that comes from what I've read and seen in videos as my printer hasn't been delivered yet.

To use numbers for a comparison:
Makerbot Replicator 2 has a layer height of 100 microns
Peopoly Moai has a layer height of 5 microns
Most FDM have an xy resolution of about 200 microns. Moai has an xy of 70 microns.

Far better resolution, but it takes considerably longer to print the same item. I'm not 100% sure about that. Some things I've read say that laser SLA is faster than FDM.. guess I'll find out for sure this weekend.

With my ultimaker2, resolution was always something that frustrated me. I hate the layer lines you see in most 3d printed objects. You can clean them up with a lot of work (sandpaper/chemical smoothing). Stuff comes out of the Moai looking almost perfect.

Resin printers are often described as being "messy". There's this stinking liquid goop in a vat. Maybe I'll turn my scuba FFM into an SCBA mask for 3d printing :wink:.

For a quality example, I saw a youtube video where a guy printed a working optical lens using clear glass resin. He picked it up and showed it working straight out of the printer with no cleaning up or anything!

How much resin is wasted per print? Can you reuse the resin? How many times before you need to completely trash whatever is left and start from a new batch?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom