Hello from Maryland

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello,
I started diving about a year ago and am really excited to continue diving and become apart of the community. I also just moved to the MD so if anyone has suggestions for dives nearby I'm all ears.

Hey man! Welcome the scuba board, welcome to diving and welcome to the neighborhood. I am also from the DC area. Lets stay in touch to dive.

Welcome to ScubaBoard. A great place to be during surface intervals.

Welcome. I suggest you try posting in the United States subforum….then go to S.E. US, then to Mid Atlantic States. From what I read, there may be a boat(s) that go out from Ocean City, MD. No decent diving that I've experienced or heard of in the various bays. Fresh water, I don't know. Boats do go out of Virginia Beach, VA, so I've heard. Fairly long boat rides I think.

Welcome! Where in MD are you?

Welcome to ScubaBoard and the area! The options right around here are limited to lakes/ quarries which is where you’ll find a bunch of us once the weather starts to warm up. When you’re ready for something salty within a reasonable driving distance you can head to any of several charters in NJ and NC for wrecks; one boat out of Ocean City, MD; and a new boat out of Virginia Beach, VA. Oh, and if you’re near BWI there are cheap flights to FLL or MIA which gets you to the east coast of FL or the Keys.

There are a number of us from the area on ScubaBoard and I imagine you’ll hear from several over the next couple of days. If you’d like more local info, feel free to reach out.

Mark

Cool, I'm almost straight across the bay from you on the Eastern shore.

To follow up on what @thatmark said, there are a couple of nice quarries in the area. Juturna springs (outside of Frederick) is currently closed pending some zoning issues, but they expect it to get it reopened this year. There is also Lake Phoenix in Rawlings, Va. Both are among the nicer quarries I've been in. If you dive the ocean off NJ, MD, Virginia beach, be prepared for cold water, it's 7 mm semidry or ideally drysuit diving even in the summer.

6-7 hours to the south, you'll find much warmer water, better viz, and great wrecks in the Morehead City/Beaufort, Wilmington NC areas. Any diving in the Atlantic is challenging. As I mentioned, farther north is cold. Although NC is warmer, the wrecks are well offshore. That entails long boat rides and sometimes rough seas and currents. The wrecks are amazing though, so for me, it's well worth developing your skills to see them.

Hello,
I started diving about a year ago and am really excited to continue diving and become apart of the community. I also just moved to the MD so if anyone has suggestions for dives nearby I'm all ears.
Hello, I have family in Woodbridge VA, is that near you? always looking for new dive spots.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom