wetsuit thickness?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Remember water temp is dropping since January
The OP is going to Thailand where water temps are pretty much constant year round. Air temps are currently rising and heading into their HOT season, which peaks around late March & April. Many people avoid Thailand in April as it's too hot for some. Although a nice sea breeze helps in the southern coastal areas.

Except that isn't actually the case. The *water* temperature is dropping. Its gone from roughly 30-31c surface in January dropping to 28c in a thermocline to 27c surface and 24c in a green monster / thermocline as of this week and will continue to drop as the months move on.
You're also confusing humidity with heat regarding the conditions in April.
Some people are already getting so cold they've been loaned full wetsuits or doubling up on shorties. A lot of guides are already into 5mms with hoods vs shorts or shorties at Christmas.

No I'm not. I was merely pointing out that sea temperature will rise slightly as air temperature increases. However, in Thailand the differences annually are generally marginal anyway, maybe 1-2 degrees C. There may be the odd thermocline, but I don't think I'd anything that would warrant a 5mm wetsuit as you were suggesting earlier.
In Bali I've dived in a 3mm hitting brief 23C thermoclines for a while with no issues.
Are you in Thailand now? Your location suggests the Caribbean? Just curious.
Cheers.

I have dived in Thailand, both Gulf of Thailand and Andaman Sea side, in the months of February, March, April, September and October, always in a 3mm short wetsuit, and never really had any problems with water temperature. However, every now and then I get itchy red spots where my arms and legs aren't covered by the wetsuit - guessing tiny jellyfish stings, or something of that nature; nothing serious but pretty annoying, so I'm thinking about getting a full-length 1.5mm or 3mm before my next trip. Definitely not 5mm though, that's way overkill.

I’ve dived Thailand (Andaman side only) in Feb, March, August & October, with temps of 27-30C, the lowest being in Feb, increasing to 28C by March. I’ve never experienced a thermocline in Thailand that I can recall. Perhaps that’s more of a phenomenon further off-shore, eg Similans & Surin? but I haven’t dived there yet.
I actually decided to ditch the wetsuit for most of my tropical diving since my first dive trip to Thailand. I was getting so hot and uncomfortable, and possibly contributed to some dehydration, donning the wetsuit (shorty) and gearing up in that heat I decided not to use it anymore. Never looked back! However, I do wear the lavacore vest for some thermal protection and it offers some wind resistance on the boat. A full length rash guard protects my arms.

For the OP, I’d say see how you feel when you’re out there. For 3 dives a day it might be sensible to wear a 3mm wetsuit but you may find you don’t need it. If you’re happy to rent then that solves that issue.

Except that isn't actually the case. The *water* temperature is dropping. Its gone from roughly 30-31c surface in January dropping to 28c in a thermocline to 27c surface and 24c in a green monster / thermocline as of this week and will continue to drop as the months move on.
Some people are already getting so cold they've been loaned full wetsuits or doubling up on shorties. A lot of guides are already into 5mms with hoods vs shorts or shorties at Christmas.
Strange, water temperature here is rising. And no, it will not drop as the months move on.

I was out on the Andaman side in late January and can confirm both the thermoclimes and the stings. The next time I'm out there, I'll probably go with a full rash/skin suit and probably no more than a 3mm shorty. YMMV.

Are you in Thailand now? Your location suggests the Caribbean? Just curious.
Cheers.
I work doing 4 dives a day on the Andaman coast which is how im familiar with the water temperatures.
And also, air temperature doesn't affect the water as much as the seasonal ocean currents here which is why its currently dropping.

I work doing 4 dives a day on the Andaman coast which is how im familiar with the water temperatures.
And also, air temperature doesn't affect the water as much as the seasonal ocean currents here which is why its currently dropping.
Again, it may be dropping where you are, but it is not dropping here, also on the Andaman Coast, where the OP is heading to.

So general information 'water temperatures are dropping on the Andaman Coast' really is not correct, you have to be more specific.

I work doing 4 dives a day on the Andaman coast which is how im familiar with the water temperatures./QUOTE]

4 dives per day... so liveaboard around Similans, Surin, Mergui Archipelago?

The OP has said he'll be diving from day boats out of Phuket, max 3 dives per day.
He also said he was comfortable in a 3mm in water temps of 78F (25-26C) and was thinking 3mm might be too much for Thailand.
Are you still advocating a 5mm full in that case?

Back
Top Bottom