Quarries - What's up with that?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, I've been watching YouTube videos about diving in quarries, and I don't get it. . . . What have I missed in these videos?
The variety of reasons for which different people dive.

Yes, diving - for some - is very much about what you see underwater. Diving - for some - is also about what you do underwater. Several posters have pointed out that quarries offer good opportunities for training, they provide a chance to dive when an ocean is simply not accessible (distance, time,. costs, conditions). There are other reasons as well.

For me, EVERY dive is a training dive. On every dive, whether I am simply an underwater tourist that day, or I am teaching others, or I have some particular mission to accomplish (equipment recovery, for example), I am training myself, on something. WHERE I do that is not necessarily relevant for the most part. In going underwater, I am probably just as - if not more - interested in the process of diving as I am in what I encounter when I dive - gearing up, swimming, blowing bubbles, maintaining buoyancy, managing trim, etc.

Like you, my early reactions to quarries was not altogether positive. I did my OW dives for certification in the ocean, and loved it. I then dove in a quarry and came away think, 'At least I got wet, and breathed underwater. But, I don't need to go there again.' Yet, I did. And, as the years progressed, I found that the quarry where I had previously complained about visibility, and swore never to visit again, was actually quite a vibrant ecosystem, that rusty metal structures were reassuring navigational landmarks, that fish behavior in a quarry is just as fascinating as fish behavior in the ocean.

I guess I am lucky living in Southern California with an ocean. I dive locally about once a month and maybe one or two tropical trips a year. I think if I lived where there was only quarry diving I would find a different activity. To each their own.

I know guys who dive once a month in the local high school pool during the winter, just because it's better than not diving at all.

I know guys who dive once a month in the local high school pool during the winter, just because it's better than not diving at all.

I do that in the winter -dive shop sponsored open pool time. Better than nothing. Tomorrow, in fact. :D

I guess if you want to physically review or improve on skills it would be OK. I would opt to just go through the motions in my easy chair (but I'm never dry for very long anyway). Other than that it seems a lot of work just to look at the pool sides, bottom and drain hole. Then you gotta rinse all that chlorine off. I'd dive a quarry if that's all that's close by, but not a pool.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom