Want 6" hose for VTX Transmitter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DanSinks

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have an Oceanic VTX Dive Computer with a transmitter on my regulator first stage. It works fine the way it is.
But other people on dive forums have said it's a risk that someday someone might pick up the tank by grabbing the transmitter, so they recommend mounting the transmitter with a 6" HP hose.

I bought two different 6" hoses but neither fits the Oceanic transmitter, the O-Ring on the transmitter needs a better seating on the hose, it leaks severely.

Is there a small coupling that can be used for this? or is there a specific hose type that someone has used on the Oceanic transmitter?

Just always handle your own equipment.Personally, I wouldn't want my transmitter swinging around on a hose of any length for a number of reasons.

I refuse to let anyone, under any circumstances touch my equipment. They can grab my hand and help me up the ladder. But keep hands off my gear. I won't even hand my fins up to them. I'm perfectly capable of carrying them on my arm.

I've had a "helpful" guy at a dive shop on GC, stroll through where we were setting up and turn my air off right before I was going to don my BC. I would have had a big surprise after I splashed if I hadn't taken a couple of test breaths and watched my SPG go to zero. I've had a boat captain "set up" my rig after being asked specifically not to and I had to take it apart and do it over correctly. I had a DM screw with my air & computer and he messed it it up so bad that I couldn't do the dive. I still have no idea what he thought he was doing.

Those aren't all the instances of the crap that has happened via other people "helping" with my equipment. Now I make sure no one ever touches my gear unless I specifically ask.

I appreciate all the good replies!!

In order to get the transmitter mounted a port extender was used by the guy in the dive shop today. So it seems that extra length creates more leverage so that the risk is even greater. If the tank falls over on the boat, I'm concerned that damage could occur which does not become apparent until under water, in the worst case scenario, if the transmitter fell off at dept, how long would it take to empty the tank of air? not too long.

I appreciate all the good replies!!

In order to get the transmitter mounted a port extender was used by the guy in the dive shop today. So it seems that extra length creates more leverage so that the risk is even greater. If the tank falls over on the boat, I'm concerned that damage could occur which does not become apparent until under water, in the worst case scenario, if the transmitter fell off at dept, how long would it take to empty the tank of air? not too long.

Why did they put a port extender on? Just to make it easier for them to screw the transmitter in? Sounds like you might want to look for a new DS. The transmitter should need no adapter to fit a HP port. That's a standard fitting. Same with LP ports.

Why did they put a port extender on? Just to make it easier for them to screw the transmitter in? Sounds like you might want to look for a new DS. The transmitter should need no adapter to fit a HP port. That's a standard fitting. Same with LP ports.

I don't know about @DanSinks, but the HP ports on my Apeks DS4 regs that are on my rEvo are too close to the LP ports. I can't fit a transmitter on them directly in the ports because the transmitter is too fat and overlaps with a LP hose.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom