Peeing in the suit has been discussed forever - now the old diver perspective

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used to have a Bare 7mm wetsuit and it was w/o plush inside. Much easier to wash and dry after the dive and less likely to keep the odor. It isn’t the silver bullet but it will improve the situation significantly.

To all the people who say 800 dives and never peed once in my wetsuit: Good for you.

The trigger for most people is being in the water, it’s a physiological thing. If you can dive and don’t feel the need to pee, great, but Ian not climbing onto a boat mid-dive to tear off my gear so can piss into marine head and flush it overboard so I can put my gear on and go dive in the same water I just pumped my piss into....

I am also not going to shorten a dive because I need to pee. Do I pee on every dive? Nope, but I am not letting a full bladder rewrite my dive plan.

To all the people who say 800 dives and never peed once in my wetsuit: Good for you.

The trigger for most people is being in the water, it’s a physiological thing. If you can dive and don’t feel the need to pee, great, but Ian not climbing onto a boat mid-dive to tear off my gear so can piss into marine head and flush it overboard so I can put my gear on and go dive in the same water I just pumped my piss into....

I am also not going to shorten a dive because I need to pee. Do I pee on every dive? Nope, but I am not letting a full bladder rewrite my dive plan.
For some like me, there are no triggers, like being in the water, being cold, etc. For some of us it's a condition that is there no matter where you are. Yes, some environmental things such as in water, hearing water fall, etc. can be a trigger. And, psychological problems can make it worse ("crap, where and when am I gunna pee?"). There are medical conditions such as mine to contend with. Much like someone who complains about second hand smoke as an irritant, as opposed to someone who is dangerously really allergic to smoke.

I wouldn't worry about diving in water you pissed in. My first and only regular dive buddy's son was amazed that I dared to piss in the water on a shore dive. Fish and other aquatic life piss in there all the time.....are you kidding?... it's the OCEAN (well, the Sound in CT).

Sorry if this has been posted but I'm not going to read 7 pages of posts:

First, from what the OP posted it sounds like the "odor" issue is from a urinary track infection. Common when you are not voiding properly. Address that and the odor will go away. Someone well hydrated and voiding properly, your pee should not stink (unless you eat pounds of asparagus every day!)

Second, I installed a pee-valve in a semi-dry wet suit and it works like a champ. There is some customization necessary since the inner hose will rout different than when using it in a Dry Suit. I found a brass 90 (for the connection to the condom catheter) and cut the hose short for my wet suit vs what I use in my dry suit.

@jadairiii , wise choice as you missed that totaling disgusting story about flammable pee. I am emotionally scarred for life!

Glad I posted early and missed that one myself.

Although your reference does bring back flashbacks (somewhat of a pun intended) of my youth in the late 60's.

Uromysitisis?

I try to dive places where I can get by without wearing a wetsuit but when I do and I do pee this helps me feel better. I first flush as much as possible by stretching my collar and scooping water in. I then go inverted and stretch my suit over my regulator while exhaling letting bubbles flow through my suit exiting out of my ankles. This might not help anything but it makes me feel better. When I first started diving I didn't understand what the separate rinse tanks for wetsuits was all about.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom