New to diving - first reg purchase recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Whatever you decide, get a moldable mouthpiece. SeaCure is the one I have. It makes having the reg in your mouth much more comfortable.

I have DIN and an adapter. It is rare in my experience that a dive centre did not have some cylinders with removable inserts for my DIN regulators. You can always buy DIN and then check with the dive centres you are using. With some lead time, they might arrange DIN cylinders for your use.

If you are considering Aqua Lung, perhaps look at Apeks regulators. Their XPX50 is a solid workhorse that will last for thousands of dives with regular maintenance. We have two different sets of Apeks regs in our family and would buy them again. They also have a travel regulator - Flight - that would also meet and exceed your requirements.

Tip: buy two of the same high quality regulators. The regulator is one of the most important components in your dive system so buy high quality. Some companies bundle a regular with a lower quality octopus. I disagree with this marketing strategy (it brings down the price); if there is a problem and you are sharing air, it is likely that the other diver may be anxious and breathing heavily. Fin this situation, a high performance regular is what you want (or even need)! Therefore, get two of the same (e.g. Apeks XPX50 and Apeks XPX50 Octopus). Finally, buy a high quality, intermediate regulator so that you do not want to upgrade in a couple of years.

Good luck!

Hi, I'm looking at getting my 1st regulator (always rented), currently looking at the Atomic ST1 and B2. Both retail for around the same price here in Malaysia. Will be doing most if not all my diving in tropical conditions.

Which would be there better pick between the 2?

Any other recommendations? Would also like something light weight and travel friendly, was also looking at Apeks XL4+

Please help :)

Hi, I'm looking at getting my 1st regulator (always rented), currently looking at the Atomic ST1 and B2. Both retail for around the same price here in Malaysia. Will be doing most if not all my diving in tropical conditions.

Any other recommendations? Would also like something light weight and travel friendly, was also looking at Apeks XL4+

ST1 is heavier than B2

The only different is 1st stage material, stainless steel vs brass. 2nd stage is exactly the same minus the cosmetics. If the price is the same, go for ST1. It is supposed to be more expansive. And stainless steel used in ST1 is supposed to be more corrosion resistant.

ST1 is heavier than B2

Shouldn't be. Stainless steel is mainly steel. Brass is mainly copper. Copper is heavier than steel. But in grant scheme, the different isn't meaningful in any practical way.

@eelnoraa thank you. I was surprised too. I have even seen the B2 go for more then the ST1.

B2 - MYR 2850.00
ST1 - MYR 2845.00

Most of the other places the ST1 is slightly more expensive but at most only by about 50 USD more then the B2.

Is the stainless steel less prone to ware and tear?

I have an M1 set in DIN. I take a yoke adapter on all Caribbean trips and have yet to see a dive op with DIN tanks. My wife has a sealed B2 set and loves it but it is also DIN. I figured if we do more diving in Canada where we live, and have access to DIN tanks, it's nice to have.
Did you ask for DIN tanks?
I had zero issues in Belize or Mexico across 5 dive opps. All had convertible valves on some of their cylinders.

I have both, the ST1 and the B2, I'd get the ST1 for sure. The ST1 is lighter, has a sealed first stage and much more resilient to corrosion. If they are close in price, it is a no brainer at all, get the ST1.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom