Big Island - Kona

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't know if it's necessary to shell out the extra cash for a chance to see this via a dive.

Only if they swim over to you like they did to me!
46518651_2057669400957685_3689106839720427520_n.jpg

Only if they swim over to you like they did to me!
View attachment 506128

Yeh, That would be pretty sweet. But I called a few dive ops and they said it's not that common for them to do a dive where dolphins are seen.

It's a bit risky to dive hoping to see that. If you do see them, it's a complement to the dive site, not the sole focus.

It's almost like the Manta Night Dive vs Manta Night Snorkel debate. I see it go both ways. Views from above or below are both great. As you said, you are doing the snorkel when you go back.

I'm doing the night manta dive while my pregnant wife will be above doing the night manta snorkel .

google maps "Kona dog beach"

We saw tiger sharks and about 50 dolphins both times we dove there.

Shore Dived two step and heard whales singing for the first time for a solid 20 minutes. That night I dove with the Manta's. Unreal exeperience. Will have to come back and try the Kona Dog beach. Too much to do on this island in 1 visit. I will be a repeat offender for sure.

YcmJXzw

lysgyPa

lysgyPa

I have been to Kona twice in the last five years. Last time was in March 2018. I use KDC.
I would also recommend lunch at Kona Brewing Company and the "lava flow" dessert if you can stand the sugar high (it is woth it). Jackie Rays was a nice place for dinner. Volcanoes National Park is one stop I would make. I was there just prior to the big eruptions last year. Kona diving was decent. Whale shark swimming with us for 20 minutes was one highlight of my last trip Manta dive is great. I was surprised at the degradation of the coral from the 2015 and other warm water bleaching events and last year. That shows that things constantly change. I understand things are returning.

Just got back from Kona...did 6 2-tankers over 3 weeks. Viz was mediocre, water about 75F...I bought a Lavacore hooded vest to wear under my 3/2 wetsuit and was okay.

I did one dive with Jack's and two with Kona Diving Co...then Three with Big Island Divers. All nice people and competent professionals. I like BID best...for me, they hit the sweet spot of being businesslike, friendly and fun [but this is not to disparage any of them]. Note that Kona Diving Co's big boat is in drydock...their little boat is cramped with just 6 divers and two crew.

The recent wind and weather has stirred up the bottom a bit, so viz is not great, although not terrible either. Did the manta dive twice...once with KDC where we saw a single manta during the first daylight dive and then 3 at the 'campfire' on the second dive. Went out again with BID just last Monday the 26th...saw 5 mantas at the campfire. Good times! When I went out with BID two years ago, no mantas showed up, so I'm particularly pleased. They are also having a good whale season...the best in several years off Kona, so I was told.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom