Latent organizational weakness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Decide amongst yourselves what procedures you want to use when you dive. Politely ask him to be a part of those procedures, and if he refuses, then he's not a part of the group and you don't dive with him. Easy as that.

As for your checklist thing, people won't use it unless they specifically follow the procedures on the checklist. Since my pre-splash checks may be very different to yours, your checklist is worthless to me. My checklist would be worthless to you. Making a card with the BWRAF steps on it sounds like a great idea, except no one will use it, and it'll end up at the bottom of a dive bag as another piece of throwaway plastic. You're not the first person to suggest this. Hell, it's hard enough getting rebreather divers to use a checklist, getting recreational divers to use one is damn near impossible. So, if you want a checklist, make your own.

You don't need that to know your buddy's pressure. Just saying. For those who don't have wireless AI, learn to ask and then extrapolate. Re-check as you get close to your turn or ascent pressures. You have failed as a buddy if you have allowed them to go OoA.

It's easier with a perma-buddy. I can tell my better half's tank pressure by looking at my spg; 8 times out of 10 I'll be close enough for practical purposes.

Hell, it's hard enough getting rebreather divers to use a checklist, getting recreational divers to use one is damn near impossible.

Short-term memory can comfortably hold between 5 and 9 items. If you can't remember 7 items, there are apps for that. If you need more than 9 checks for a rec dive, you have way too much gear. If you don't want some of those 7 items, a checklist won't help with that.

It's easier with a perma-buddy. I can tell my better half's tank pressure by looking at my spg; 8 times out of 10 I'll be close enough for practical purposes.

Hi dmaziuk,

I can tell my wife's gas consumption just by watching her bubble stream. Both frequency and volume. When I signal for a gas check, she looks at a her AI computer, drops it, and has a, "yeah, whatever," expression on her face. That means: "I've got so much gas it isn't even funny."

markm

I can tell my wife's gas consumption just by watching her bubble stream. Both frequency and volume. When I signal for a gas check, she looks at a her AI computer, drops it, and has a, "yeah, whatever," expression on her face. That means: "I've got so much gas it isn't even funny."

There was this lady on the boat in Roatan who surfaced with half a tank from every dive (they recorded end pressures on roll sheet). One time I left the camera behind and was able to come up with 1000-ish psi to her 1700+... her better half just shrugged and said she has gills.

Hi dmaziuk,

markm

Frustrating for us competitive fellas, but true. Them ladies just don't seem to breathe that much!

Hello, I admittedly did not read the all of the 56 posts, but I read a lot of them. Another thing to keep in mind is even if it's not "your" buddy, witnessing a serious accident would defiantly impact my diving. I've seen some scary things that had me shy away from a dive shop as I was convinced it was just a matter of time.

Hello, I admittedly did not read the all of the 56 posts, but I read a lot of them. Another thing to keep in mind is even if it's not "your" buddy, witnessing a serious accident would defiantly impact my diving. I've seen some scary things that had me shy away from a dive shop as I was convinced it was just a matter of time.

Hi Dizzi,

I thought of that a few posts ago, but was getting long-winded as usual, so I left it out.

I would not psychologically feel well witnessing an accident where someone on the same boat, let alone your buddy, died. It would leave a "bad taste in my mouth" for diving.

I know it happens. I have read the articles and court judgements for some cases. I have spoken to witnesses. I don't need to be apart of that.

Surger, BBW here we come!
markm

Hi Dizzi,

I thought of that a few posts ago, but was getting long-winded as usual, so I left it out.

I would not psychologically feel well witnessing an accident where someone on the same boat, let alone your buddy, died. It would leave a "bad taste in my mouth" for diving.

I know it happens. I have read the articles and court judgements for some cases. I have spoken to witnesses. I don't need to be apart of that.

Surger, BBW here we come!
markm

I agree from a certain standpoint. In saying that I wouldn't have a "bad taste in my mouth" for the sport. Moreover I would have that "bad taste" wondering if I could have done or seen something to prevent it...kinda why I've posted what I have.

I agree from a certain standpoint. In saying that I wouldn't have a "bad taste in my mouth" for the sport. Moreover I would have that "bad taste" wondering if I could have done or seen something to prevent it...kinda why I've posted what I have.

Hi Craig,

I enjoyed communicating with you and others on your thread. Good luck retraining your buddy. Good luck changing the dive industry.

cheers,
markm

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom