I Live in Thailand - My Dive Plans For 2019

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dont rule out Bali , which IMVHO has far better diving than Thailand. Should be easy and cheap to connect via KL with Air Asia and no doubt others.

Lucky you ...enjoy your time in Thailand !
Agree, Bali is an often overlooked gem when it comes to SE Asia diving. Some of the most accessible and varied diving anywhere...an iconic wreck, superlative macro, open water pelagic, along with beautiful above water scenery, relaxation, and nitelife. And only a direct flight or easy 1-stop connection from Thailand.

Nice plans for 2019! If you are going to continue to be in NE Thailand in 2020 and want to consider something different and a fun little getaway and something not too far away from you and it wouldn't even necessitate a week or more of travel -- Look into Koh Chang, Koh Mak or Koh Kood. Best time to go, as I am sure you know, would be November through February. PM me if you want any recommendations.
I am not talking about a "dedicated dive vacation" as much as a great getaway with some very decent and fun diving included that is off of most peoples radar.
"A week or more of travel..." he lives in Issan not Tacoma Washington; as for Ko Chang diving, I've heard it basically sucks (if you've been to anyplace else decent).

However, I've never done the South Andaman so that's still on my list. Have you ever dived on the Phinisi liveaboard to the South Andaman as that's who I'm currently looking at for later this year?

Don't really need a liveaboard for South Andaman; it can be done via day boats from Koh Lanta - I was there two weeks ago, and it was great; easily as good as Similans/Richelieu Rock.

as for Ko Chang diving, I've heard it basically sucks (if you've been to anyplace else decent).

I've only done one day trip off Koh Chang, two tanks, but Hin Kuak Ma was a great site, much better than anything off Koh Tao.

Dont rule out Bali , which IMVHO has far better diving than Thailand. Should be easy and cheap to connect via KL with Air Asia and no doubt others.

Lucky you ...enjoy your time in Thailand !

First, totally jealous @Buadhai! What a great life.

So I am in Singapore once a year for work. Last year took Air Asia over to Bali and did a few days of diving with Geko. (Air Asia...cost me a fortune in getting my baggage and gear over there. Need to find a different solution.)

This year, in September, my husband may be able to join me. So the big question is do we do Bali or Thailand???? Thought we'd spend a bit of time touring Bali, dive out of Padangbai again, and then head over for a short liveaboard trip. We may only have a week and he's never been to Bali.

But Thailand is on our bucket list too!!! So much to do and see there, not sure how much time would be diving v seeing everything and just laying like broccoli on beaches.

Thoughts????

"A week or more of travel..." he lives in Issan not Tacoma Washington; as for Ko Chang diving, I've heard it basically sucks (if you've been to anyplace else decent).

I am not sure what you are saying or commenting on? I know where he lives, I have been there. I was making a suggestion for a place to go diving that would be a weekend getaway from Isan. A place to get wet and do some diving, without it being a dedicated week-long or more dive vacation. Diving on Koh Chang itself is not good. But boats go out from there on day trips to nearby islands that are marine protected and the diving is decent. There is also a wreck dive accessible from Koh Chang. Those same islands can also be reached by dive boats operating out of Koh Mak. Koh Kood, (also spelled Koh Kut) has pretty decent diving and a dedicated dive operator on the island now. All of these locations are in Trat Province and reachable for a weekend or extended weekend from NE Thailand and provide something different or new to do. I would never suggest any of these places for a dedicated dive trip in SE Asia. In the same way that I wouldn't probably recommend anyone to come and do a weeklong dedicated dive vacation in Tacoma, WA.

But, if you live in Portland, Oregon, or anywhere else within 3-6 hours travel, you would definitely want to come here and get in a great weekend of cold water diving and get a break from your landlocked day to day existence. Hope that makes sense.

Best to contact Tapana via Line: @tapanaliveaboard

That's the main mode of communication in Thailand.
No Luck
Perhaps they want to deal with Thai only.
Shame.

First, totally jealous @Buadhai! What a great life.

So I am in Singapore once a year for work. Last year took Air Asia over to Bali and did a few days of diving with Geko. (Air Asia...cost me a fortune in getting my baggage and gear over there. Need to find a different solution.)

This year, in September, my husband may be able to join me. So the big question is do we do Bali or Thailand???? Thought we'd spend a bit of time touring Bali, dive out of Padangbai again, and then head over for a short liveaboard trip. We may only have a week and he's never been to Bali.

But Thailand is on our bucket list too!!! So much to do and see there, not sure how much time would be diving v seeing everything and just laying like broccoli on beaches.

Thoughts????

Obviously at some point you will have to do both...as you say you are in Singapore every year so not too difficult to do. I've lived in Thailand for 20 years and dived most of the major sites around SE Asia so have some pretty good data points. I hage to say it but the diving in Bali shits all over the diving in Thailand. It is also one of the most beautiful islands I've ever been to (reminds me so much of Maui) and again, unfortunately, much more beautiful than any island in Thailand ( if for no other reason than it has an active volcano). Both places have interesting and unique cultures, however, with Thailand being Buddhist and Bali being Hindu.

Thailand is good for culture, history, food, beaches, and some diving, while in Bali you can do pretty much the same but with more easily accessable diving and variety of diving in a relatively small area...from the fantastic muck of Secret Bay to the Liberty wreck at Tulemban (rated as one of the world's best wreck dives), to the Ahmed/Padang Bai areas, and pelegic sites near Nusa Penida.

But Thailand is on our bucket list too!!! So much to do and see there, not sure how much time would be diving v seeing everything and just laying like broccoli on beaches. Thoughts????

For the best of beaches and diving, I would suggest checking out Koh Lanta. Plenty of beaches, and the best place to be to dive at Hin Daeng/Hin Muang...

Great thread with awesome recommendations from all! Keep it light, keep it coming.

So I am in Singapore once a year for work.

I'll second Bubble Junky. Koh Lanta is great, and from Singapore, you have direct flights to Krabi, from which you can take a taxi or minibus transfer to Lanta (about two hours driving). Day trips run two or three tanks, and some operators do night dives on occasion, so you don't really need a liveaboard - you can sleep on shore, and alternate diving and beach time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom