Has Banda been fished out??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I haven't been to Banda in the last year, but I have been to Alor recently and there are still lots of big fish there! :wink: By any chance do you dislike and avoid current?

Nope, big current fan (diving Komodo for the second time in April), and I dove Alor during a full moon. Glad you lucked out and saw the big guys even though I didn't! :)

Hey all,

So I'm looking into doing a liveaboard through the Banda area (either Sorong-Ambon or Sorong-Bitung) following my stay in Raja this April but am now having second thoughts after being told by a very experienced DM friend who went last year that Banda has been totally fished out! Having experienced the dreaded effects of overfishing when I went to Alor a few years ago (beautiful corals but very few fish that weren't tiny aside from one site), it was a massive red flag for me, and now I'm leaning towards going somewhere else.

If any of you have been to Banda recently, could you please chime in on your experiences? I'd really love a few more opinions before jettisoning the plan.

Thanks!

May be she went at the wrong time or dive sites. Blue Manta went from Sorong to Bitung last year and post this video:
I like the boat & their DM know how about the Banda Sea and set up my trip this September, as posted here: Ring of Fire September 9-19, 2019

Most of south east asia has been fished out compared to 20 years ago. But theres still big stuff around if the currents right.

Been diving in SE Asia for almost a decade now. My suggestion: Get your diving in as soon as possible and as many times as you can. The conditions are declining. I can't comment about the pace or the speed of deterioration, but one can certainly see the difference. And it's not just the big fish. The small fish are going away as well. Case in point: Few years back, there were lots of box fish at Tioman and now, it is difficult to spot them.

We saw plenty of fish on a recent Ambon-Maumere trip on the Damai 1.
I thought it was one of the the best dive trips I've been on. I think the Indonesian government's efforts to combat illegal fishing is improving the situation.

My trip report is here:
Forgotten Islands/Banda Sea Photo Expedition, November 4-15, 2018

Photos here.

Fishy%2B-%2BHDR.jpg

but I have been to Alor recently and there are still lots of big fish there! :wink:
...shhhh... !!!!
Remember what we Alor fans agreed about keeping our mouth shut?
:wink:

Back
Top Bottom