New diver headed to Taveuni

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Larz_1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey guys,

I'm a new diver from Amarillo, Tx.
I got my OW cert back in November and did my required dives at Blue Hole in Santa Rosa, NM.

My wife and I have a trip to Taveuni, Fiji planned for July 17-26.
We are staying at a house in Matei near the airport.

I plan on diving at least 4 days with Taveuni Ocean Sports.....maybe more if my wife will let me.
She does not dive but does want to snorkel.
These will be my first dives since getting certified.
I plan on doing a few more dives at Blue Hole before then.
And I may have a business trip to Boca Raton, Fl in May ... if so, I'll try to squeeze a dive or two in while there also.

Anyway, we have a few questions about Taveuni for those that have been there.

1) Cell phone service.
We are both on Sprint (iPhone 8). Sprint says they have worldwide roaming and a partnership with Vodafone.
Anyone with Sprint been to Taveuni?
Did you have service?

2) Currency.
Are USD accepted? US debit/credit cards?
Where to exchange USD for FJD. Anyplace on Taveuni to exchange?
How much cash would you recommend having on hand?
What about exchanging any left over FJD back to USD?

3) Car rental.
We like to explore at our leisure and have always rented a car when we travel (Hawaii, Puerto Rico, Cozumel).
Taveuni seems to be pretty remote and we have not found any places that rent cars.
The couple that we are renting our AirBNB house from said they know someone who would rent us a car for our stay.
Just looking for options.

4) Stores/Shopping.
There are a couple of small stores in Matei close to our house.
Anyone know if they will have the basics that we will need ... Sunscreen (reef safe), lotion, shampoo, toiletries, drinking water, etc.

Any other tips are welcome.

Thanks,
Larry

Can't help with all of it but

2. Use the ATM at the Nadi airport. It is after international arrivals and you will pass it on the way to domestic departures. I don't recall anyone preferring USD. Bring enough for the small stuff, taxis, and park admissions/services. Plan all the places you want to go (see nature!!) and budget accordingly. You can exchange fijian currency for USD in the international departures area after security. It is really easy.

4. I only went to one small store. They have basic toiletries and things like sandals and a small selection of clothes.

You could get a burner cell phone before leaving and use a SIM card, purchasable at the airport. Not familiar with Sprint there. I had poor reception but I was south of town.

Can't help with all of it but

2. Use the ATM at the Nadi airport. It is after international arrivals and you will pass it on the way to domestic departures. I don't recall anyone preferring USD. Bring enough for the small stuff, taxis, and park admissions/services. Plan all the places you want to go (see nature!!) and budget accordingly. You can exchange fijian currency for USD in the international departures area after security. It is really easy.

4. I only went to one small store. They have basic toiletries and things like sandals and a small selection of clothes.

You could get a burner cell phone before leaving and use a SIM card, purchasable at the airport. Not familiar with Sprint there. I had poor reception but I was south of town.

Thanks.
Every bit of information we can get helps.

Hey guys,

I'm a new diver from Amarillo, Tx.
I got my OW cert back in November and did my required dives at Blue Hole in Santa Rosa, NM.

My wife and I have a trip to Taveuni, Fiji planned for July 17-26.
We are staying at a house in Matei near the airport.

I plan on diving at least 4 days with Taveuni Ocean Sports.....maybe more if my wife will let me.
She does not dive but does want to snorkel.
These will be my first dives since getting certified.
I plan on doing a few more dives at Blue Hole before then.
And I may have a business trip to Boca Raton, Fl in May ... if so, I'll try to squeeze a dive or two in while there also.

Anyway, we have a few questions about Taveuni for those that have been there.

1) Cell phone service.
We are both on Sprint (iPhone 8). Sprint says they have worldwide roaming and a partnership with Vodafone.
Anyone with Sprint been to Taveuni?
Did you have service?

2) Currency.
Are USD accepted? US debit/credit cards?
Where to exchange USD for FJD. Anyplace on Taveuni to exchange?
How much cash would you recommend having on hand?
What about exchanging any left over FJD back to USD?

3) Car rental.
We like to explore at our leisure and have always rented a car when we travel (Hawaii, Puerto Rico, Cozumel).
Taveuni seems to be pretty remote and we have not found any places that rent cars.
The couple that we are renting our AirBNB house from said they know someone who would rent us a car for our stay.
Just looking for options.

4) Stores/Shopping.
There are a couple of small stores in Matei close to our house.
Anyone know if they will have the basics that we will need ... Sunscreen (reef safe), lotion, shampoo, toiletries, drinking water, etc.

Any other tips are welcome.

Thanks,
Larry

I am going to Taveuni in May/June, so hit me up June 15 and I'll tell you all about it. However doing your first dives in a bucket list place like Fiji is a bit worrisome. You may want to do some ocean dives somewhere first. You have to get used to boat diving, waves, moving ladders, current, depth and air consumption. Be safe! I suggest doing some boat dives in Boca in May. Have a great time, I can't wait to get to Fiji

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom