HP100s

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes but what do you do when they don't want to have their bank tanks that high? Not much.

Find a shop that has an appropriate bank pressure. As mentioned above, in our neighbourhood there are quite a few shops that do. Also a HP 100 short filled to 3000 PSI still holds bout the same amount of gas as a LP 85 filled to it's rated pressure.

Agree. There is a lot of huffing and puffing when one walks in with a HP tank. After a few visits, the customer gets the message. They are not interested to filling HP tanks. :wink:

Getting tanks filled isn't a concern for me, I work for a diving unit and if I need air I just take my tanks into work and fill them. If I need nitrox or in the future mixed gas, my shop is a tech shop and does it right.

Take a slow roll on buying equipment getting into tech. Worry about reading the likes of Sheck, Chatterton and Deco for Divers and such. There are no equipment solutions to a mindset / knowledge problem..

Tech diving is exciting and I dig your enthusiasm!

Who are you training with?

If you do not live in "cave country" then I absolutely recommend HP100s. PST makes great 3500psi HP100s, I have two sets. IF you find a set, you better grab them quick as they don't come up often.

@Doby45 hit the nail on the head this discussion on hp fills has too much misinformation, unfortunately way too much bad history on this subject
Whether you get full fills or not is irrelevant, buy a tank that is appropriate internal volume wise based on the fills you intend to be able to get. I.e. when choosing between a lp85 or a FX100, the only reason you should choose the lp85 is if you need it for weight/buoyancy in the water, i.e. the reason we use them in cave country. The two tanks are about the same from an internal volume perspective *12.9 vs 13.0 liters*, so if you are only able to get 3000psi fills, at least you'll get the 3000psi every time.

The two tanks are about the same from an internal volume perspective *12.9 vs 13.0 liters*, so if you are only able to get 3000psi fills, at least you'll get the 3000psi every time.
Locally, I can't get a 3000 psi fill on a LP85. So it's the HP100 even if I can only get 3000 psi. Then if 3000 is all I can get, I'm no worse than LP85 to its rated pressure, and I might be better off if I can get a better fill.

@tursiops ding ding. This is Fabers current tanks btw, the old HP100's are smaller. Current FX100's are much taller than the PST/Worthingtons. That said, the older PST100's at 3000psi hold 86cf of gas. If you need 85cf of gas, then a HP100 is a better choice than a LP85 so long as you can get 3000psi fills, which you always will be, and anything over that is bonus gas

I fill my own. I prefer hp 100s and have 5.

Haha thanks @Wookie 100's are great and they are gold up here, great for just about everything, my buddy in Northern Quebec does dive with LP tanks but only reason being he can't get HP fills.

@Billy Northrup Been diving with tech gear since day 1, Bp/w, Longhose, DIR style of diving is what my instructor preaches. Although it was quite fun back when I started looking at all the different "toys" I could buy at the LDS, now I have what the girlfriend calls an "obsession and a collection of scuba gear". So that being said I am not really collecting gear per say (contrary to what the lady says), just want more breathing gas and can't get the tanks I want up this way. Like I said before HP100 worthingtons are hard to come by up here. I am training with Dan's Dive Shop, one of the best shops in Ontario (probably even further than that).

Haha this thread really turned into a which tank is better than the other, rather than who has worthington 100s. Gold goes to Wookie for hitting the nail on the head with my original question. got some tanks for me reserved and ready for pickup thanks for the info.

I fill my own. I prefer hp 100s and have 5.
Why do you prefer hp100. I have a pair of those and a pair of lp85. I can fill to whatever I want to tolerate the risk of. I'm thinking 3,600. I'm starting to dive sidemount and plan to start out with the lp85s. Just wondering why you like the 100s better. Is it because of their buoyancy characteristics when near empty?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom