Underwater Checkers tournament

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

homerdoc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Played in an underwater checkers tournament for charity this weekend. (South Caroline Cancer Awareness). The Scuba Shop really put on a good event. What was neat was practicing buoyancy while playing. My daughter got knocked out first round, I luckily lost in the semis due a coin flip. I was freezing (forgot my shorty). Anyway, this was good practice for a lot of folks.

Attachments

• Underwater Checkers.JPG
    Underwater Checkers.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 170
I’ve never flipped a coin underwater. Sounds like a challenge!

That looks like lots of fun and it was for a good cause too.

I always wanted to do make an underwater Poke Run. At each point there would be a question on a slate, some scuba related question. Get the answer right you are given the correct heading and number of kicks to the next point, get it wrong and you're sent off the wrong way. At each point there would be a chip or something. You return from the dive and you get a card for each chip. Highest hand wins.

Actually, for anyone else who may want to do this, they had some interesting rules.

1. You have to take a jump - that changes checkers strategy a lot.
2. Whoever has more checkers after 10 minutes wins

It was just big painted washers for pieces, and dots on one side to designate kings.

It went quick and fun.

Played in an underwater checkers tournament for charity this weekend. (South Caroline Cancer Awareness). The Scuba Shop really put on a good event. What was neat was practicing buoyancy while playing. My daughter got knocked out first round, I luckily lost in the semis due a coin flip. I was freezing (forgot my shorty). Anyway, this was good practice for a lot of folks.
I'd be freezing in SC this time of year even if I DIDN'T forget my shorty....

Actually, for anyone else who may want to do this, they had some interesting rules.

1. You have to take a jump - that changes checkers strategy a lot.
2. Whoever has more checkers after 10 minutes wins

It was just big painted washers for pieces, and dots on one side to designate kings.

It went quick and fun.

what did they use for a board ?

it was just a heavy vinyl square they had painted the board on looked like to me

They should add a rule that if you touch the bottom or break the surface during your turn, you lose your turn. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom